• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Cairo embassy reached limit in DV2019??

Britsimon

Super Moderator
Someone on AP from Cairo embassy got this today from the embassy_

"
We regret to inform you that the 2019 Diversity Visa (DV) Program has reached its mandated numerical limit for DV applicants.

The Embassy cannot issue any more DV 2019 visas even for those who were initially selected and who previously interviewed for the visa and were waiting for administrative processing.

As noted in the diversity visa instruction packet which lottery selectees receive, more individuals are selected each year for diversity visas than can receive visas because many people who initially win the lottery do not eventually qualify. The DV program runs until September 30 or until all available DV numbers have been exhausted, whichever comes first. In this case, we reached our mandated numerical limit before the September 30, 2019 deadline.

Therefore, please do not send your passport to us even if you previously received notification that your administrative processing was complete. There currently are NO more available visas for DV applicants in Fiscal Year 2019, which ends in September 30, 2019

Please be assured that your Diversity Visa application was given every consideration under U.S. law. You may still apply for future DV programs. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause

"

I think this would be due to the 7% limit, and relate to AP cases from previous months.

I checked the data. There were almost 2500 visas issued in Cairo up to the beginning of the month. Another 500 people were scheduled for July and August interviews. Those cases would have been allocated a visa in advance, so they should be OK. The limit is probably only being imposed on those cases that are on AP from a previous month, since those would have lost their allocated visas. That represented about 45 people at the beginning of the month. It is not clear to me whether they will schedule any September interviews.

Is very obvious they have reached the 7% limit.

No, it isn’t “obvious” at least to me, they’ve reached the 7% limit - what seems to be going on is they anticipate reaching that limit taking into consideration the remaining visas have been pre-allocated to selectees scheduled for August / September interviews. Which means they’re are no more visas available to those clearing AP going forward - just like Simon explained above.

Your post comes across as if you mean Cairo has reached the 7% limit as such no more visas will be issued to those scheduled for August / September - do share with us how you came about that conclusion.

The way it’s worded it actually sounds as though the entire program has reached the limit, but surely that can’t be right? No other country embassy has sent anything like this that you've seen, I presume?
Agree it sounds like visas are allocated for further applicants so AP - and any AOS waiting -would be out of luck. Hope it really is Egypt only...

Actually the way it’s worded is identical to the Iranian one, other than they specified “no more Iranian visas”.

Actually the way it’s worded is identical to the Iranian one, other than they specified “no more Iranian visas”.
They practically gave DV lottery visa to only 5 iranian out of 4000 selectees. How come no more visa is available for iranian?

They practically gave DV lottery visa to only 5 iranian out of 4000 selectees. How come no more visa is available for iranian?

I was talking about the Iranian situation in DV2017, when they reached the 7% limit in early September.

The way it’s worded it actually sounds as though the entire program has reached the limit, but surely that can’t be right? No other country embassy has sent anything like this that you've seen, I presume?
Agree it sounds like visas are allocated for further applicants so AP - and any AOS waiting -would be out of luck. Hope it really is Egypt only...

There's no way this applies to the entire program.

Technically, Xarthisius is correct - BUT I would not be surprised if the IVAMS system is not smart enough to apply a country restriction - so an AOS case would have a chance of approval - in my opinion.
How exactly does Ivams work?

Egyptians interviewing outside Egypt presumably also have to be identified.

Last edited:
@Sm1smom sorry if I couldn't Make it clear, I was trying to say there's available visa for August and September but those on AP wont get some because the visas has already being allocated to the selectee that will be current for the next two months ahead.

How exactly does Ivams work?

Egyptians interviewing outside Egypt presumably also have to be identified.

IVAMS is the "visa management" system. WE don't have all the details but we know that KCC is there [artly because DV is different - so I cannot imagine they built it well enough to handle the DV lottery edge case...

Someone on AP from Cairo embassy got this today from the embassy_

"
We regret to inform you that the 2019 Diversity Visa (DV) Program has reached its mandated numerical limit for DV applicants.

The Embassy cannot issue any more DV 2019 visas even for those who were initially selected and who previously interviewed for the visa and were waiting for administrative processing.

As noted in the diversity visa instruction packet which lottery selectees receive, more individuals are selected each year for diversity visas than can receive visas because many people who initially win the lottery do not eventually qualify. The DV program runs until September 30 or until all available DV numbers have been exhausted, whichever comes first. In this case, we reached our mandated numerical limit before the September 30, 2019 deadline.

Therefore, please do not send your passport to us even if you previously received notification that your administrative processing was complete. There currently are NO more available visas for DV applicants in Fiscal Year 2019, which ends in September 30, 2019

Please be assured that your Diversity Visa application was given every consideration under U.S. law. You may still apply for future DV programs. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause

"

I think this would be due to the 7% limit, and relate to AP cases from previous months.

I checked the data. There were almost 2500 visas issued in Cairo up to the beginning of the month. Another 500 people were scheduled for July and August interviews. Those cases would have been allocated a visa in advance, so they should be OK. The limit is probably only being imposed on those cases that are on AP from a previous month, since those would have lost their allocated visas. That represented about 45 people at the beginning of the month. It is not clear to me whether they will schedule any September interviews.
Hello Simon,
I didn't get the point. How is it possible that there are no more visas for those who have already been interviewed and are on AP but there are still visas available for those who will be interviewed in August?

Hello Simon,
I didn't get the point. How is it possible that there are no more visas for those who have already been interviewed and are on AP but there are still visas available for those who will be interviewed in August?

Because when CP appointments are made, visas a preallocated to the case for the month of interview. When cases go on AP the preallocated visas are returned to KCC, and can be allocated to other cases. When AP finishes the embassy has to ask KCC for new visas.

Because when CP appointments are made, visas a preallocated to the case for the month of interview. When cases go on AP the preallocated visas are returned to KCC, and can be allocated to other cases. When AP finishes the embassy has to ask KCC for new visas.
Oh, it's really weird. So those who will go to their interviews in the near future may get their green cards but someone who had been undergoing AP and received aforementioned notice from the embassy will not. Right?

Oh, it's really weird. So those who will go to their interviews in the near future may get their green cards but someone who had been undergoing AP and received aforementioned notice from the embassy will not. Right?
Correct