Breaking News - Emilio Gonzalez Resigns

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Immigration-Director-Resignation.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This story was originally posted by jefkorn in the "USCIS Lawsuit..." sticky earlier this morning. All credit for breaking this story goes to him, as I am merely reposting the link.

:eek:

First I've heard of it, thanks for the heads up guys. What do you think is behind it?

Here is Chertoff on the resignation:

Statement by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff on the Resignation of the Director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Release Date: March 13, 2008

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary

Emilio Gonzalez has informed me of his intention to resign as Director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), effective April 18. Emilio has been an extraordinary director who is leaving an indelible mark on the transformation and modernization of USCIS operations.

Emilio is an American by choice and he has brought that unique experience to his leadership of this critical agency, and more importantly to our nation’s unparalleled efforts to welcome immigrants and foster their integration into our society. During his tenure, Emilio oversaw important efforts to improve customer service and modernize the agency’s operations to further strengthen the security and integrity of the immigration system well into the 21st century. He has led efforts to ensure the reliability of processes for international adoptions. Emilio also undertook great steps to expedite the naturalization of immigrant servicemen and women defending and protecting our nation from harm. I had the special opportunity of traveling with him to Iraq as part of a naturalization ceremony for more than 170 of those brave members of the armed services.

Prior to joining the department in 2005, Emilio served as the Director for Western Hemisphere Affairs at the National Security Council. He also had a distinguished 26-year career in the U.S. Army.

I am grateful for Emilio’s contributions to America’s rich tradition of welcoming newcomers and to his deep commitment of service to the American public. I look forward to our continued friendship.

:eek:

First I've heard of it, thanks for the heads up guys. What do you think is behind it?

Here is Chertoff on the resignation:

Statement by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff on the Resignation of the Director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Release Date: March 13, 2008

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary

Emilio Gonzalez has informed me of his intention to resign as Director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), effective April 18. Emilio has been an extraordinary director who is leaving an indelible mark on the transformation and modernization of USCIS operations.

Emilio is an American by choice and he has brought that unique experience to his leadership of this critical agency, and more importantly to our nation’s unparalleled efforts to welcome immigrants and foster their integration into our society. During his tenure, Emilio oversaw important efforts to improve customer service and modernize the agency’s operations to further strengthen the security and integrity of the immigration system well into the 21st century. He has led efforts to ensure the reliability of processes for international adoptions. Emilio also undertook great steps to expedite the naturalization of immigrant servicemen and women defending and protecting our nation from harm. I had the special opportunity of traveling with him to Iraq as part of a naturalization ceremony for more than 170 of those brave members of the armed services.

Prior to joining the department in 2005, Emilio served as the Director for Western Hemisphere Affairs at the National Security Council. He also had a distinguished 26-year career in the U.S. Army.

I am grateful for Emilio’s contributions to America’s rich tradition of welcoming newcomers and to his deep commitment of service to the American public. I look forward to our continued friendship.

I think the explanation is very simple. All of a sudden, Gonzalez realized that he will be held responsible for all the errors stemming from the fee increase and the subsequent backlog, so he decided to save face and resign. It's a strategic political move, somewhat along the lines of Eliot Spitzer's resignation!:D

I think the explanation is very simple. All of a sudden, Gonzalez realized that he will be held responsible for all the errors stemming from the fee increase and the subsequent backlog, so he decided to save face and resign. It's a strategic political move, somewhat along the lines of Eliot Spitzer's resignation!:D

Breaking news:

Gonzalez revealed as "Client 7"

(just kidding)

:D

Have you heard the saying "When the going gets tough the Tough gets going"
For Govt it means that "When the going gets tough the Tough end up going out of the door" :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you heard the saying "When the going gets tough the Tough gets going"
In govt's books all over the world it means that "When the going gets tough the Tough end up going out of the door" :D:D

Seriously, though, there's one big difference between Spitzer's and Gonzalez's resignations:

- Spitzer paid an exorbitant fee to get screwed

- Gonzalez made everyone else pay exorbitant fees to get screwed

Seriously, though, there's one big difference between Spitzer's and Gonzalez's resignations:

- Spitzer paid an exorbitant fee to get screwed

- Gonzalez made everyone else pay exorbitant fees to get screwed

We paid Gonzalez and got screwed :D:D Shouldn't we be the one's resigning??? :D:D

I agree he is just resigning (or being forced to resign) before he gets into much more trouble with Congress. Now they can put a new guy and blame everything on Emilio, and justify ever more delays while they transition to a new director. Pathetic.

I agree he is just resigning (or being forced to resign) before he gets into much more trouble with Congress. Now they can put a new guy and blame everything on Emilio, and justify ever more delays while they transition to a new director. Pathetic.

I wonder if this will cause even more delays. I can already picture it: "as a result of resignation of Emilio Gonzalez, anyone applying for naturalization may take from 60-72 months to naturalize".:rolleyes:

There may be an indication of good news in all this. There are a number of high profile lawsuits going on connected to the delays, and USCIS/DHS may be less than optimistic about the chances of a successful defense--and Chertoff less than happy with Emilio.

So first the Obudsman and now Emilio...hmmmm

me thinks something fishy is afoot

Exactly! I sent a letter to Obudsman and he resigned right away... I sent a letter to Emilio and he didn't want to open an envelope for awhile, but finally he did it! I just got a return receipt in the mail yesterday. He resigned as well.

Wait! I sent the letter to Chertoff too... Haven't got a return receipt from him yet... Let's see what happens next...

So first the Obudsman and now Emilio...hmmmm me thinks something fishy is afoot

Methinks you need to understand how political appointments work.

Gonzalez was going to resign anyways on January 21st, 2009, when the new President takes office. As are pretty much everyone in DC at the rank of Assistant Secretary or above. It happens each time a President takes office.

So it makes sense that they're already looking for something new, and if they find it early they'll move on. Someone will fill the role on an acting basis until 2009 when the next President appoints his or her choice.

I like the former explanation better: that the resignation was due to the mounting pressure from all the lawsuits. And since most of them are caused by name check delays, maybe the new guy will limit background checks to fingerprint and IBIS :cool:

Exactly! I sent a letter to Obudsman and he resigned right away... I sent a letter to Emilio and he didn't want to open an envelope for awhile, but finally he did it! I just got a return receipt in the mail yesterday. He resigned as well.

Wait! I sent the letter to Chertoff too... Haven't got a return receipt from him yet... Let's see what happens next...

you should stop sending letters man..it's all your fault :p