Breaking news! Approval for all I-485 pending for more than 180 days!

longGC

Registered Users (C)
It is hard to believe but yesterday I read from Murthy.com chat that there is a rule coming this Friday to approve all I-485 cases pending for more than 180 days.

I am posting the question and answer verbatim. The question was,

"Hi Ms. Murthy, Is there a chance that BCIS Headquarters will issue a rule stating that a person with I-485 pending for over 180 days should obtain the I-485 approval? Thanks"

When this question was asked on the chat room, I thought that that could be an ideal situation any GC aspirant would hope for. It was hard to believe that Attorney Murthy answered YES!!!

"Yes, I personally spoke with Efren Hernandez last week; he promised me that the BCIS will release such a Memo by this Friday, July 11, 2003. I expect something to be released in about a week or two. The Memo or guidance will require BCIS to issue an approval of the I-485 if the I-140 has been approved and the I-485 has been pending in excess of 180 days".

Guys, please find out in depth about this upcoming rule and how it is going to change our life. The more you find and put on this board, the more it will be helpful. Your comments, positive AS WELL AS negative are very important.

At last the world is changing!

Same excitement

This is second news for which I am excited.

First time I was excited when I heard Ramar Pillai has found some leaves which can make Petrol , And India will produce Petrol for 1 Rs a Litre.

Miracle can happen

This is what I love above this country. They take care of everything. They studied their law in perfect manner. And would try to make it as good as possible.

If this is going to became to true. Then that is EXCELLENT!!:) .
I can't tell you how much happy I would be.
Oh God!!

Thanks,

Ms. Murthy mentioned it in another chat a while back, and there were a LOT of sceptics then, it was so damn awesome a news that its way too hard to digest. I wonder, what are they going to do about the back ground checks because of which the 485's are currently being delayed (supposedly). I also wonder, will the I-140 become the huge hurdle for future GC aspirants, IF, this rumor becomes a reality?

Originally posted by Silly Man
Huh? :confused: :confused:
I need a spell check option on this site, I always guess that the spelling i'm using is correct and I am too lazy to open dictionary.com or any other .com for spell check.

Originally posted by longGC
"Hi Ms. Murthy, Is there a chance that BCIS Headquarters will issue a rule stating that a person with I-485 pending for over 180 days should obtain the I-485 approval? Thanks"

"Yes, I personally spoke with Efren Hernandez last week; he promised me that the BCIS will release such a Memo by this Friday, July 11, 2003. I expect something to be released in about a week or two. The Memo or guidance will require BCIS to issue an approval of the I-485 if the I-140 has been approved and the I-485 has been pending in excess of 180 days".

All this transcript says is 485 will be approved if pending for more than 180 days.

Where does it say that the 485 application will be approved in 181 days? It can be approved in 995 days (as an application pending for 995 days would still be pendign in excess of 180 days).

I am not sure if I missed something in the transcript that says applications will be approved automatically soon after the 180 day mark!

lsamp I think ur right .. this is probably AC21 guidance .. i.e. if ur over 180 days, u can change jobs without worrying about denial of 485 .. the rest of the rules stay as is .. which basically means no change compared to today.

But remember, something good in everything.

http://www1.indiatimes.com/cartoon/julcart08.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe this.

It is contrary to what they are doing with the additional security checks.

Stop. Think about it.

Do you really think BCIS is automatically going to approve all outstanding 485 applications over 180 days???

Do you really think they will run the risk of approving a terrorist because they haven't processed an appliction in that time frame?

No.

Originally posted by gettingclosernow
Stop. Think about it.

Do you really think BCIS is automatically going to approve all outstanding 485 applications over 180 days???

Do you really think they will run the risk of approving a terrorist because they haven't processed an appliction in that time frame?

No.

gettingclosernow, I don't see any problems. Of course BCIS will approve only after all security checks, but BCIS won't issue RFE about W2, employment verification letter and so on or BCIS will issue RFE but only about first 180 days.

My response to this topic on other thread "new development from BCIS accdg. to Murthy "

Here are two things on this topic...

1) If I-485 is pending for more than 180 days after I-140 approval then it will be immediately approved.

2) If I-485 is pending for more than 180 days after I-140 approval and because of some reason the employer revokes I-140 then still the AOS will be approved (may not be immediately but some time in future but atleast I-1485 will not be denied on basis I-140 revocation). Please note that I-485 can be denied based on some other facts though!

Item #1 is too good to be true and if some one is expecting this to be true then they are expecting too much and one should read between lines to get the facts. In my openion it is not true.

Item #2: I think this is the case. Since the begning, most of the legal community were interpreting the law as in Item #2 but still we saw couple of I-485 denials in the recent past based on I-140 revocation. So probably by Friday we will see some clarification on this topic.

- PCee

from murthy chat

here is the exact quote (cut and paste from Murthy Chat site)
>>----------------

Chat User : Hi, Ms. Murthy. Is there a chance that BCIS Headquarters will issue a rule stating that a person with the I-485 pending for over 180 days should obtain the I-485 approval? Thanks!

Attorney Murthy : Yes, I personally spoke with Efren Hernandez last week. He promised me that the BCIS will release such a memo by this Friday, July 11, 2003. I expect something to be released in about a week or two. The Memo or guidance will require BCIS examiners at the various Regional Service Centers to issue an approval of the I-485 if the I-140 has been previously approved and the I-485 has been pending in excess of 180 days.

---------------- <<

interpretation #1 (PCee) is too good to be true.

...sigh.

I agree with PCee. Anyways we would have seen it coming like the 7th year extension and concurrent filing and it would not be just announced out of the blue one day. Its too good to be true and the security implications of this is enormous. BCIS will never do anything so radical.