breaking Agreement with employer after getting green card

hope9099

HI,guys

I came to USA on F2 visa,then became F1,then went to nursing school. I started working for my empolyer( a hospital ) as an RN in Sep,2006. I signed an Agreement with them that I had to work two years,equivalent of 4000 hours with them. If I leave after a year before 2 years,I have to pay back all the money they gave me including housing allowance,relocation fee etc.

My attorney filed my case in Oct,2006. My green card got approved in Aug,2007,which took 10 months. I have been working since after getting green card. it's been another 8 months already. Now I am thinking of quitting my job,because I couldn't bear the separation with my husband any more. He is in USA,working in another state. At first we thought he could get a job in the state where I am living. but it was too hard.

My question is:
1.If I leave,I'll break the agreement, of course I'll pay all they money back,do you think it's gonna affect my green card and future Natualization? The Human Resource lady said they are gonna report to USCIS if I leave the hospital. Can they revoke my green if i break the agreement? The agreement only states that I need to pay back the money,nothing about revoking green card. Please advise!

2.My husband's case is still pending. Is it gonna affect him?

3.If I leave my job,I move back with my husband and stay home umemployed,as a housewife to have a baby. Will it affect my green card and my husband's green card approval?

4.Since I got my Green card through employment,any impact on future naturaliztion if I dont work as a nurse any more?

any input is highly appreciated!

thanks!

If I leave after a year before 2 years,I have to pay back all the money they gave me including housing allowance,relocation fee etc.

What does "all the money they gave me" include? See an attorney to determine if it's even enforceable.

Can they revoke my green if i break the agreement?

No.

My husband's case is still pending. Is it gonna affect him?

No.

I move back with my husband and stay home umemployed,as a housewife to have a baby. Will it affect my green card and my husband's green card approval?

So long as you do not become a public charge, no.

Since I got my Green card through employment,any impact on future naturaliztion if I dont work as a nurse any more?

No.

There is no regulation regarding time you suppose to work for your sponsor.
The law says only that you can change sponsor having been pending more than 180 days on your I-485.

Theretically speaking you should work for your sponsor until you get citizenship. THERE IS NO REGULATION

Some of the lawyers say you must work more than one year, most of them say at least 6 months. If your sponsor send USCIS letter with complains that you did not have an intent to work for him, USCIS can revoke green card.
But most of the lawyers will be happy to help you to get it back "just for nominal fee" since you worked more than 6 months after getting green card.

HI,guys

I came to USA on F2 visa,then became F1,then went to nursing school. I started working for my empolyer( a hospital ) as an RN in Sep,2006. I signed an Agreement with them that I had to work two years,equivalent of 4000 hours with them. If I leave after a year before 2 years,I have to pay back all the money they gave me including housing allowance,relocation fee etc.

My attorney filed my case in Oct,2006. My green card got approved in Aug,2007,which took 10 months. I have been working since after getting green card. it's been another 8 months already. Now I am thinking of quitting my job,because I couldn't bear the separation with my husband any more. He is in USA,working in another state. At first we thought he could get a job in the state where I am living. but it was too hard.

My question is:
1.If I leave,I'll break the agreement, of course I'll pay all they money back,do you think it's gonna affect my green card and future Natualization? The Human Resource lady said they are gonna report to USCIS if I leave the hospital. Can they revoke my green if i break the agreement? The agreement only states that I need to pay back the money,nothing about revoking green card. Please advise!

3.If I leave my job,I move back with my husband and stay home umemployed,as a housewife to have a baby. Will it affect my green card and my husband's green card approval?

4.Since I got my Green card through employment,any impact on future naturaliztion if I dont work as a nurse any more?

thanks!

Some hospitals sponsor RNs, lab tech..etc for study or something similar then you should work for them 2 years or so. This is mandatory and you should respect that. I do not know what are the censequences if yo breatch this agreement but I think you will suffer some way on another.

OK, here is what I suggest, based on what you have said.

If you quit your hospital then your HR would definitely go after you
not to revoke your GC (which they cannot do) but to collect all the money they spent on you for GC process. They can collect the same from you and no law can stop them from doing it.

So, what you can do is, get pregnant and after a few months of pregnancy,
quit your job saying you cannot work due to your condition. After the baby & stuff you can decide to go join them or find another job.

This way, you can easily present your case in front of a Judge - if your hospital files you a lawsuit - that you had to leave due to your family condition and nothing else.

About revoking your GC, just don't worry, they cannot do it. Also, this won't affect your husband's application.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//
ps: You may want to talk to an Attorney with what I said so you will have a clear idea.
HI,guys

My question is:

thanks!

According to what you have described, why would they inform USCIS or come after you if you are willing to pay them back the money they spent on you?

If I was in your situation, I would probably just stay with them for the remainder time of the contract which is a little more than a year and this way there would be no complications related to this matter going forward. Also becoming a United States LPR is a privilege, not a right. After all, they did sponsor you for a better opportunity and spent on your relocation, housing etc. If you were born here and had decided to become an RN, you would not have received all these benefits so the least you can do is complete the terms of the contract. But that is just my personal opinion.

Stoned!

Were they guaranteeing you a job for those 2 years? Is "housing allowance" part of your ongoing monthly compensation, or was it just a short-term payment used to provide you with somewhere to stay for the first 1 or 2 months when you initially entered the US?

If they were not promising to keep you employed for the 2 years, it is unlikely they will be able to penalize you for leaving before 2 years. And if the "housing allowance" is an ongoing thing, it is effectively part of your wages/salary and they are unlikely to be able to claw it back because you left too early for their liking. But the real answers to such questions depends on the labor laws of your state. Consult a labor lawyer, preferably one who usually works on the side of the employee, not the employer.