Boston Oath Ceremony - March 12, 2009 -visitors?

lfm

I'm going to the March 12, 2009 Boston Oath Ceremony scheduled for 12:00 noon at Faneuil Hall. My husband is planning to come with me - as a visitor what time should he arrive at the ceremony? How long is the check in / interview / administration process before the actual ceremony? Can he accompany me through the admin process or does he have to wait in a separate visitor area? Thanks for any insight.

My spouse and I are also in the oath ceremony on 12 March @ noon. I am also curious about the questions you asked. Hopefully someone with prior oath experience in Boston (Faneuil Hall Market Place) can share there experience / insight.

BTW: lfm would you mind sharing your dates/timeline for N400?

Regards,

I guess spouse will be directed to go to visitor area once you go to admins.
I had oath in hynes convenetion center. We are allowed to carry cell phones, camera etc. We went 9:30 AM for 10:30 oath and actual oath took place around 12:30PM (2700 people).

PD 11/3/08
FP 12/5/08
ID 1/20/09
Oath completed 3/4/09

here is my timeline:
application sent: Aug 2008
priority date: Sep 2, 2008
finger print: Oct 2, 2008
interview: Dec 8, 2008
oath: March 12, 2009

Thanks for your replies. So the oath was yesterday and now I’m a proud citizen of the U.S. I will post the experience here for future reference in case someone will have the same question I had.
I thought the ceremony was well organized and it was appropriate to have it at historic Faneuil Hall. There were 400 people taking the oath; they had us enter in 2 lines according to color coded approval letters (pink and blue). The people who were taking the oath were seated in the bottom level and visitors on the gallery. I couldn’t see my husband throughout the ceremony as he was right above me. After everyone was seated, they started with check-in by going in front of officers row by row. They checked if we filled out the questionnaire at the back of the approval papers, our green cards and asked if there were any changes since the time of the interview. Than we were seated again and a federal judge and a court clerk arrived who administered our oath. A naturalized student from a Cambridge, MA elementary school, who was there with an observing group of students, led the pledge of allegiance. After that, the visitors were asked to leave the building and they finished the ceremony with the check-out procedure which involved surrendering our green cards and receiving the Certificate of Citizenship. My husband and I celebrated at a nearby bar and my first trip was to our local town hall to register to vote :)

I wanted to thank you for this information. I have my Oath Ceremony in Boston on May 21 2009 at Faneuil Hall and was wondering whether or not my wife could come and watch.

I really like the idea of it being at Faneuil Hall! Is it in the old building itself, I wasn't sure where 'merchants row' was, I was assuming that it was right next to Quincy Market.

Do we get a flag and mini declaration of independence? Hope so!

Application sent: Jan 21, 2009
finger print: Feb 24, 2009
interview: Apr 20, 2009 (Patriots Day! :D)
oath: May 21, 2009

Whole process from mailing the N400 to taking the oath will be 4 months exactly, pretty cool! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my Oath Ceremony today at the Mechanics Hall, Worcester, MA.

It was hot today, 93F in Worcester, and we had to stand outside for like an hour before they let us through the narrow doors of Mechanics Hall. It was worse than in the airport line, no place to seat. I am 7 months pregnant and didn't feel well, so I asked the person at the door, old moron with the name tag "Bob Kennedy", to let me go through - because certain sitting areas and guests could go through freely at that time - and he told me to wait, and added "I hope you don't have a baby today".
And that's despite the fact that it says clearly on uscis website

"...(1) Establish Effective Ceremony Check-In Procedures .

Each District Director and Officer in Charge should establish an efficient process to check in applicants on the day of the ceremony. Accommodations should be made during check-in for candidates for citizenship and guests with disabilities or who are pregnant...."

I must say, that heat didn't do me or my baby any good and that is probably the main thing that I will remember about my Oath Ceremony at the Mechanics Hall, Worcester, MA.