Border crossing

heureaux

Hi all and thanks in advance for the help. I am an American citizen who is getting my permanent residency in Canada. My husband is canadian with a permanent residency in the US. He is working now in the US and we are starting the process for us to go to canada. He may be working here for 2 more years. My question is I know that once my residency is approved that I need to cross the border before my medical or visa expires, and I know that I need to present a list of items that will cross with us when we go to Canada, but what do you do about the things you will buy before you do return. Since we will be in the US for another 2 years, I am sure we will buy more things including some furniture items since we are also recently married. What can you tell me on these issues. Thanks

The thing that works for you is that you will not lose your PR status as long as you accompany your spouse outside Canada. All your goods that you owned and used beofre landing can be imported duty free. Goods acquired after that can still be imported but after paying duty. Since your husband is also living outside Canada, he too can import all items under $10,000 (each) duty free.