Birth Certificate Issue

nk01

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,
I needed urgent help regarding Birth Certificate issue. I was trying to get my birth certificate issued from India, but it seems municipal people have incorrect name for my birth record. The name is absolutely incorrect (no spelling mistake... they used on their own :(

Can you please guide me what shall I do in such circumstance (Birth record available with absolutely Incorrect name). They will not issue Non-availability Certificate... Since the record does exist.

Plssss help

give them some cash..

Hello..

Try to give them some money under the table..they will do it..

in my case..there was actually no record ..but i spend some 1000/- and got my birth certificate from municipal office.

Good Luck

nk01 said:
Hello All,
I needed urgent help regarding Birth Certificate issue. I was trying to get my birth certificate issued from India, but it seems municipal people have incorrect name for my birth record. The name is absolutely incorrect (no spelling mistake... they used on their own :(

Can you please guide me what shall I do in such circumstance (Birth record available with absolutely Incorrect name). They will not issue Non-availability Certificate... Since the record does exist.

Plssss help

Guys is there no serious legal alternative for such case ??
I am struck badly due to this.

Get supporting affidavits for your birth certificate

Indian birth certificates are not in full format version in most of the cases..hence you have to anyways provide 2 supporting affidavits along with you birth certificate. As long as your supporting affidavits (usually from parents or close relatives), has your correct name on it you should not find any issue with your situation.

I think in your situation it would be better to get a NON-AVAILABILITY certtificate. Ask them to do a search on your REAL NAME. Since they used a totally different name, they will obviously not find the registration. Then they should provide you the non-availability of birth certificate letter. Usually they do have this and will know what to give.
Then along with the non-availability certificate get two affidavits from relatives (Mom and Dad preferabbly) for your birth.

Contact Indian Consulate in your area or go to their website. I believe they can issue birth certificate by taking birth information from your passport. They charge some kind of fee (may be $20). ;)

Birth certf issue

Hi,

1.One thing you can do is get an affidavit from your parents or any blood relatives older than you stating that the name is incorrect.

2.ANother alternative is to get affidavits from your parents or blood relatives stating that you were born on so and so date and at so and so place.
Along with that, you need to submit a non availability certf ( I am sure you can easily get it...)

I went through the same situation for both me and my wife. My wife went throu option1 and I went thru option2 at two different times.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

I have a slightly complicated situation with regards to my birth cert and was hoping if someone could give me some advice/suggestions regarding the Non-availability Cert.
I was born in Gauhati, Assam (30+ yrs ago) and lived there till age 2. My birth was not registered and hence no official Birth Certf. My place of permanent residence, however, is in south india which is where my family is originally from, and has settled since past 20 yrs.
I have a birth document that was issued by the local hospital in Gauhati (not Govt. issued), but which my lawyer confirmed would not be considered as an official BC. I have therefore obtained affidavites from both my parents. Now my lawer says i also need to get a Non-Availablity certificate.
What do i do since there is no way for me to contact the Gauhati local office for such a document. Besides, with all the govt and political problems the state has been through, I wonder if they will agree to verify for any Govt records from 30 yrs ago. As you can imagine its not very practical - especially since we dont have any friends or family back in Gauhati.

Any suggestions or advice?
thanx in advance,
lamhe

One way i think of is that if you have not mentioned ur place of birth as a Guwhati Assam, then try and get it from the local municipal office, of course they will not have it and will issue the certificate, and let the affidavits also say the same.

As far as guwhati not willing to look through the records i dont think thats true, dont assume. I think the main problem is in logistics. but if thats the only way get someone to go there.

Be consistent

--Make sure you are consistent with the birth place reported in all other certificates/documents/passports.....

place of birth is in PP

Since you have alreday mentioned the place of birth in the passport, you cannot deviate from it. Only way is to get it from Assam. But believe me it is not as tough as you think. Find any old friend there who can get the work done from a agent by charging few 100 bucks.

Don't even try to change your place of birth in records. It may cause serious trouble later.

will_get_there

non-availability certifiate

thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

Place and date of birth are well documented in all my records. Changing any of this information is neither legal and definitely not an option i would ever consider.
The problem i am facing is the practicality of getting the document from Gauhati - primarily because i dont have anyone (immediate family or friends) who can go all the way to Gauhati to get this done. I had not considered getting an agent to do this - perhaps could try that!!? - maybe a travelagent or so might be able to shed some light on who and where to contact.
So one final question: Is the Non-availability certificate absolutely essential? Both of my parents' affidavites clearly state that a birth certificate was never issued in my name. Shouldnt that suffice?

It would be very lame for them to deny me a visa at my CP interview just becase i did not have this 'Non-availability certificate', wouldnt you think? I have a valid passport (with date of birth) on which i have travelled outside india since age 3. The US govt has issued me a SS#, driver's lisence, F-1 and H-1 visas etc, etc, by accepting the date of birth in my passport - so then why suddenly the need for this accessory document? Is it really that important?
-lamhe

Go to Indian COnsulate.

Indian Consulate issues Birth CErtificate on the basis of the information in your Passport. Fee $20.
Its a Same day service and ITS LEGAL.

Akhila

akhilan said:
Indian Consulate issues Birth CErtificate on the basis of the information in your Passport. Fee $20.
Its a Same day service and ITS LEGAL.
--------- Birth certificate issued by Indian embassy or Indian consulate based on Passport info is NOT accepted by USCIS with I-485
Akhila