Best way for parent to come to Oz?


New Member
I've scoured and looked over ways to get my 71 year old mother to Australia to live with me.

I can get her here on an aged parent visa, or I can get her here on a remaining relative visa. I don't know which one would be best.

I'm currently booking flights for her to at least visit but am wondering which visa I should get for her now? Do I get a 1 year tourist visa with the 3 month interval visits? or can I apply for an exact 1 year tourist visa? Or does it have to be 3 months only? If I do a 3 month tourist visa can I apply for one of the other ones while she's here or does she have to leave the country again? I prefer she stay. And am looking for the cheapest alternative.

I am her only remaining sibling and she has no other family in the states. I am also a permanent resident of Australia with a home and in a committed relationship with my australian partner.

Any help would be appreciated.


Registered Users (C)
Maybe I did not see it but from what country is your parent from and on what conditions and how long have you been in Australia?


New Member
Last sentence..... from the States.

I've been a permanent resident for nearly 3 years.

We are currently attempting a short stay visa (1 year), have filed the application. Just waiting on an answer.