becoming US citizen while spouse's I-485 still in process.

query10

Hi dear forum community,
I have a question. I am sorry if it is a bit long.

Both my wife and I have been living in Boston, MA since the beginning.
In 2016, I was a green card holder, she was a student, so I wanted to sponsor her. I filed I-130, approved.
in 2017, I still had the green card when we filed I-765 and I-485. Both accepted and in process since 11/2017
I became a US citizen 4 months ago (and had a baby now) but still my wife's both employment authorization and adjustment of status are in process.
We placed service request several times, nothing changed. They said they are busy etc..
Any suggestions?
Should I wait?
Contact ombudsman?
Send a letter to USCIS that I became a US citizen and have a baby now?
or something else?
Thank you so much!

What is it exactly that you are concerned about? If it is the wait for EAD, that is typically taking 4-6 months at present. I485 processing is typically taking around a year. You may get more exact estimates for your specific FO/service center here https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/
Unless the wait times are longer than normal as per these tables, all you can do is wait.
If you haven’t updated the I130\I485 petitions with the information that you are now a citizen, you need to do that. (It’s not clear from what you wrote above exactly when your wife’s priority date was under F2A but I am assuming you filed i485 when “dates for filing” was applicable. You need to ensure USCIS is aware she is now an IR category and not F2A anymore, if you haven’t done that yet.)
Having a baby does not affect any processing times.

Last edited:
Did you send proof of your USC status alongside her A# to USCIS?

Having a USC baby is immaterial to processing time. Did your wife enter on an F1 visa or change status from a different NIV?

Having a USC baby is immaterial to processing time. Did your wife enter on an F1 visa or change status from a different NIV?
My wife entered on an F1 visa, kept her status legal all the time(went to school) until we received receipt notice Of I 485 and i765 from USCIS

Btw, the time she filed i485 application I had only green card. I became citizen recently.
I haven’t sent them my citizenship papers yet. How /where can I send them?

I am sorry, may be I am a bit unclear about what I said before. I will try in red below. Thanks!

There is no update from USCIS since the notice date which is Nov 21, 2017. At least I was expecting work permit to be issued. More than I year passed and no work permit.
Yes, she is under F2A. We filed the i765 and i485 after visa number became available. I have not informed the USCIS that I became a citizen yet. As far as I know, you inform USCIS if your i-130 is in process. However, we passed that stage even when I had a green card.
Do you think it still makes sense if I inform the USCIS about my being a citizen? If so, where should I send my naturalization document, to Boston Field office or somewhere else?

Informing them could be useful, because I-485 cannot be approved until a visa number on the Final Action Date chart is available for the category and priority date. Though it probably won't matter in this case, since a visa number is available on the Final Action Date chart for F2A for priority dates in most of 2016.