Background Check/Final Approval

ASSYLEE

Registered Users (C)
I applied for asylum in the end of January, had my interview in March and received a "Recommended Asylum" letter in the beginning of April. How long does the background check take? And is it true that your I-94 card doesn't always arrive? How long did everyone else's take? Does it depend on your nationality?

ASSYLEE said:
I applied for asylum in the end of January, had my interview in March and received a "Recommended Asylum" letter in the beginning of April. How long does the background check take? And is it true that your I-94 card doesn't always arrive? How long did everyone else's take? Does it depend on your nationality?

The time it takes to complete the background check varies. It depends on the backlog the FBI and other agencies have. I am sure your nationality (or religion) plays a big role, let us get real here. A common name will lead to additional time.

Give them at least three months before you start to worry.

You get a new I-94 card when everything has been complete.

Does this procedure vary if you go through the Immigration Judge? Or the judge gives you the same letter, and you wait for the same background check?

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply!! Congrats to everyone on the cap removal. I feel guilty though. All those after me will have a tougher time getting asylum.

ASSYLEE said:
Thanks for the quick reply!! Congrats to everyone on the cap removal. I feel guilty though. All those after me will have a tougher time getting asylum.

Do not buy these AILA stories. America will remain a refuge for the oppressed. I wish you the very best.

hampton8844 said:
Do not buy these AILA stories. America will remain a refuge for the oppressed. I wish you the very best.

Thank you, hampton! I don't care what ANYONE says about you. You're swell!! ;)

awaiting final approval too

I am in the same boat waiting for my final approval

Sent asylum application (affirmative) April 2004
Interviewed June 2004
fingerprint June 2004
fingerprints cleared June 2004
Recommended approval August 2004

Last I heard is that my case still pending security clearance. I am Palestininan, Moslem, and I am also on H1 work visa.

Any input/advice from affirmative asylee would be appreciated!

DR2000 said:
Does this procedure vary if you go through the Immigration Judge? Or the judge gives you the same letter, and you wait for the same background check?

Thanks.

No, u don't have to wait. U get your approval letter from IJ and that's it. U are an asylee since then!

stuckinchecks said:
I am in the same boat waiting for my final approval

Sent asylum application (affirmative) April 2004
Interviewed June 2004
fingerprint June 2004
fingerprints cleared June 2004
Recommended approval August 2004

Last I heard is that my case still pending security clearance. I am Palestininan, Moslem, and I am also on H1 work visa.

Any input/advice from affirmative asylee would be appreciated!

Hey Stuckinchecks,

I can't believe you've been waiting since August of 2004! I got my Recommended Approval in March of 2005! I thought I would be getting it in the mail within a couple of months. Other people have told me to wait up to 3 months and I should get it. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. Can other people elaborate on when they got their final approvals. And i'm sure there is no way we can inquire about our pending final approval....right?

ASSYLEE said:
Hey Stuckinchecks,

I can't believe you've been waiting since August of 2004! I got my Recommended Approval in March of 2005! I thought I would be getting it in the mail within a couple of months. Other people have told me to wait up to 3 months and I should get it. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. Can other people elaborate on when they got their final approvals. And i'm sure there is no way we can inquire about our pending final approval....right?

Guys, I don't want to affraid you, but my aunts has been waiting for her final approval since october 2003 !!! and and we didn't heard anything from CIS all this time. So, my suggestion is to relax and wait cause it varies from case to case. I wish you will be luckier thanmy aunt and will receive your approval letters very soon.

I got the recommended approval in march 2004. Still waiting for the final approval. Done 3 fingerprinting!!! Don't know what to do. This is in SF office. :confused:

chitcute said:
I got the recommended approval in march 2004. Still waiting for the final approval. Done 3 fingerprinting!!! Don't know what to do. This is in SF office. :confused:

3 fingerprintings? How come? Damn... I got my Recommended Asylum in March of 2005. Mine is at the Newark, NJ office. Maybe it's our country of origin that is keeping it held up. Or the fact that I have somewhat of a common name. I guess recommended asylees are now at the bottom of USCIC's priorities. All you GC applicants...stop f%&*ing complaining. Chitcute, did you attempt to find out the status of your background check?

Last edited by a moderator: