B2 visa or K1 visa?.....HELP, PLEASE!

HeyTira

Hello there

I have only traveled abroad once and that was for a missions trip to Ghana in 2011 where I met my now fiance. We have been communicating over the phone since July 2012, are deeply in love and desire to be together. I want him to come to the US to meet my family and then for us to get married. I wanted to know should I apply for a B2 visa and then pettition for it to be converted to a K1 visa once he gets here to visit or will he have to make two seperate trips, one to meet the family and the other to get married. How long and expensive will it be for a K1 visa? What is the best route to take? I greatly appreciate any help and advice you can give. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, you cannot apply for his B-2 visa. He needs to do it on his own and qualify on his own. Having a US citizen finacee' will make it very difficult for him to obtain a B-2 visa. I am assuming he holds Ghanian citizenship.
Secondly, a B-2 visa cannot be coverted to K-1 visa.

The best route for you both is simple. If you are 100% convinced that you both want to marry each other and both of you are free and willing to marry each other, you should sponsor him for a K-1 visa. Once he gets into the US, marry him within 90 days and then apply for his green card.

I wanted to know should I apply for a B2 visa and then pettition for it to be converted to a K1 visa once he gets here to visit or will he have to make two seperate trips, one to meet the family and the other to get married. How long and expensive will it be for a K1 visa? What is the best route to take?