1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B2 Visa - Number of entries query

Discussion in 'Entering USA on B Visas' started by MDrabik, Jan 9, 2017.

  1. MDrabik

    MDrabik New Member


    I am a British citizen that is hoping to apply for a B2 visa within the next week or so. However, I have one query, which will affect my decision on when I want to visit the states.

    I intend on visiting my girlfriend (US citizen) for a period of up to 6 months. We originally intended for me to arrive in late February or early March. However, we both plan to travel to South Africa to graduate in April (we both just finished our postgraduate degrees here - it is where we met).

    If I was to enter the US before travelling to South Africa, would that nullify my ability to return to the US for the remainder of the 6 months?

    Obviously, I wouldn't want to be denied entry on the second visit. Would it instead be recommended that I apply for the B2 Visa, but meet my girlfriend in South Africa, so that it will be single entry?

    I have visited my girlfriend on three occasions before (all under visa waiver programme), and have never overstayed (90 days on one occasion, both others under one month).

    Thanks in advance!
  2. Pierre82

    Pierre82 Well-Known Member

    Hi MDrabik.

    If you leave the U.S. on a tourist visa you can come back and enter to the U.S. depending on the validity of your visa and for how long you are approved to stay by the CBP officer. The maximum time with a B2 visa in the U.S. is 6 months

    A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (generally an airport) and request permission to enter the United States. A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port-of-entry have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States. If you are allowed to enter the United States, the CBP official will provide an admission stamp or a paper Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. Learn more about admissions and entry requirements, restrictions about bringing food, agricultural products, and other restricted/prohibited goods, and more by reviewing the CBP website

    I recommend you check out this website https://www.uscis.gov/visit-united-states/extend-your-stay in case you are approved to stay less then 6 months and required to extend your stay on a B1/B2 Visa.
  3. MDrabik

    MDrabik New Member

    Thanks for your response.

    However, I do not think that I will be applying for a B2 any more. My responses on other forums have been less than positive. As I have access to the visa waiver programme, have little ties to the UK (no property, full time job at this time), and am visiting a girlfriend, I would be considered an overstay risk. Therefore, I have been advised by several people that my B2 application would most likely be rejected.

    As such, I am now in a position where I will probably visit South Africa first, and then go to the US on the visa waiver programme after this.

    Thanks again,

  4. Pierre82

    Pierre82 Well-Known Member

    Best of luck to you Martyn

Share This Page