B2 to H4 in US. Safe bet?

fish4all

Registered Users (C)
Here is the scenario. Plssss help me. Great Guru I'm relying on you. You've bin my saviour in past.

I will be going to US on B2 (appearing for intvw next week in Dubai and hopefully I will get atleast 3 months visa). Next, I'm planning to get married to H1B holder in US. Also, I've stayed in US earlier on B2, F1, H1b in past 6 years and never violated any rules/overstay during the stay.

1) After getting married in US on B2, Will it be a problem when I apply for change of status from B2 TO H4?
2) Does 30-60 days rule apply to me? In that case SHOULD I apply for change of status after 30 or 60 days?
3)Should I get married in US, then come back to Dubai and get H4 visa stamped here?

People Please suggest the best and safe thing to do keeping in mind marriage can be done only in US.

fish4all said:
Here is the scenario. Plssss help me. Great Guru I'm relying on you. You've bin my saviour in past.

I will be going to US on B2 (appearing for intvw next week in Dubai and hopefully I will get atleast 3 months visa). Next, I'm planning to get married to H1B holder in US. Also, I've stayed in US earlier on B2, F1, H1b in past 6 years and never violated any rules/overstay during the stay.

1) After getting married in US on B2, Will it be a problem when I apply for change of status from B2 TO H4?

Here you are violation your B visa purpose. Marriage never happens with in 1 or 2 months. But changing to H4. 50-50 Chances. Problem is, H4 COS takes more tha your B admissable time you may run in to risk of over stay too2)

Does 30-60 days rule apply to me? In that case SHOULD I apply for change of status after 30 or 60 days?
3)Should I get married in US, then come back to Dubai and get H4 visa stamped here?
This is the right choice, you will get your H4 with no problem any where in the world.

People Please suggest the best and safe thing to do keeping in mind marriage can be done only in US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Guru! Appreciate your time.
Ya, what you are saying is true, my intention isn't as a visitor but to get married on B2. That may raise many eyebrows, no doubt.

1. I was thinking of getting married and then applying for COS after 60/90 days, but as you said, it may take longer for COS. So that is ruled out as I may have overstayed and I don't know yet if I get 3/6mths stay on B2.
2. What you suggested that after getting married in US, I come back and get H4 stamped in Dubai. I do run a risk of Dubai US consulate rejecting H4 by saying I violated B2 by going there to get married. Do you think, such a thing may arise. Or its ok for someone going on B2 to get married in US?
3. Or I should go on B2, wait for a while, say 30/60 days then get married & come back for stamping.
4. Or should I wait for 'no matter how long', get married outside US then go on H4.

Your help is appreciated!

i have a queries very similar to the thread starter:

my wife is a H1-B visa holder and she marry me here (court) last august 8, 2007. i have a B1/B2 visa and i entered in the US last March 8, 2007. now, i had given a 6-month stay by POE officers and will expire in september 7, 2007. I intent to apply for an H4 so that i can be with my wife here and i only have 3 weeks remaining before my I-94 be expired. is it possible to stay here in the US if i'm going to apply for an H4? what steps should I do right now since time is against my way. thank you very much.

Geek31,
This is what I would advise you to do. Get married in the US before the I-94 expires. Leave the US before the I-94 expires. Apply for an H-4 visa in your home country.