1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B2 Extend of Stay reasons

Discussion in 'Living in USA On B status and B extension of Stay ' started by JasmineGreen, Jan 4, 2014.

  1. JasmineGreen

    JasmineGreen New Member

    Dear forum members,

    I was previously on F1 for university I was attending. The F1 was expired in 2011 and I also didn't have the financial means to continue with the degree so I went back home and started working back in Taiwan for two years. I contacted the university and said in July 2013 I had gathered enough financial means to finish my degree but can not provide that much to gain an I-20. So the school told me I can come with B2 visa instead and finish my degree that way. I did and graduated in September 2013.

    Upon my graduation, I've been staying with my boyfriend and being able to see him again after two years apart.
    I checked my B2 status and the stamp on my passport says my stay is expiring in Jan 18, 2014. Coming up in two weeks. I'm going to apply for B2 Extend of Stay, but as I read the I-539 instruction, I'm confused and need help on the written statement part:

    A. The reasons for your request:

    I wish to stay with my boyfriend longer. And even if I have to leave the US in two weeks, I do not have the money to do so. As I'm on B2 visa, I'm not allowed to work in the state, and my boyfriend had been helping me with living means of course. I've read some other threads on this board and some had mentioned about attach bank statement along with the I-539. But the instruction didn't say we need to do that? Did it? What for?

    B. Why your extended stay would be temporary, including what arrangements you have made to depart from the United States:

    Well, I think it will be temporary because the longer I stay here, the longer I can not work, ie no income, and that is no good. In terms of arrangements on departure, I currently don't have the finance to do so, and therefore I don't really know how to state that here?

    C. Any effect the extended stay may have on your foreign employment or residency.

    I'm not very sure what it is trying to ask here. The only thing I can think of is that I had to quit my architecture firm job back home to come finish my school and stay with my boyfriend a little while. My boss told me he wants me back, but as long as I'm in the states, I can not work back in the firm. Is this the kind of statement they are looking for?

    Bottom line is, as the Jan 18 coming really close, I'm really nervous about the applying for I-539. I'm nervous about whether my reasoning is good enough for them to grant my extension or not and that I don't have the money to purchase airplane ticket either.

  2. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    I don't think "living with your boyfriend" is a legitimate reason to allow you to stay longer. "No money to return" is not a legitimate reason either. B2 is for temporary visiting.

    If you get married to your boyfriend, and if he's a U.S. citizen, then he can sponsor you for a green card without you leaving.
  3. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    If it definitely not a good enough reason. I have a question for you however. When you last entered the US with a B-2 visa, didn't you have a return ticket in your possession at that time?


Share This Page