B1 visa expiring, new application question

complex_dude

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My parent's visitor visa (10 years) expires in Jun 2011. I will be visiting them in Dec 2010. And was wondering if I can help them apply for a new B1 visa during my visit (i.e. before their current visa expires). I anticipate this may not be allowed. However, just checking in case it, as it would be great help to them if I can assist them in the process.

Thanks,
cd

You can extend your B-1 visa using form Form I-539, if you have legitimate reason for extension, lawfully present in US, you shouldn't have committed any crime, have valid passport until that day, proper evidence on financial support.

Thanks for the reply. But I think this is for visitors already present in US. My parents are currently not in the US. What I was asking for is whether one can apply for a new B1/B2 stamp in their home country, before the current B1/B2 stamp expires ?
For example, say current stamp expires in Dec 2010 and planned travel is in April 2011. Can they apply for new visa stamp (for April 2011 travel) before Dec 2010 stamp expires ? I would 'imagine' they can only apply after Dec 2010 ??

You can help them fill in the forms, but they will be applying for their B-2 visas on their own.

Thanks for the reply. I think I am unable to word my real question correctly. My real question is whether one can apply for a new B1/B2 visa at the time when their passport has a valid (unexpired) B1/B2 stamp, however this stamp would expire before the planned travel to US.