Auto Revalidation by travelling to Canada

dsugandhi

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

can you please let me know, Do I have to submit my current I-94 if I travel by road to Canada without H1 Stampe in my passport but with valid I-94? Or I just have to keep I-94 which is attached to my H1 approval notice(797)?

Thanks,

Stupid Question - What is Auto Revalidation?

I am wondering what does auto revalidation mean?

Thanks in advance

Thanks GotPR for the answer. Say I used Auto-revalidation then after a week if I go for stamping in Canada will it create any issue?

Auto revalidation is for re-entering the U.S. provided you do not have visa interview scheduled at a U.S. consulate.

No, it wont create any issues.

I am wondering what does auto revalidation mean?

Thanks in advance

Auto revalidation allows a temporary visa holder residing in the U.S. re-entry from Canada (and Mexico maybe). The basis of re-entry is by possessing an approved I-797 even if the passport stamp has expired. Please read here for details.

If you use automatic revalidation, you must NOT surrender I-94 at the border.

There are 2 types of I-94, one which is made by the INS officer at the airport while we have entered US and then the other is the one which comes with the approval notice I-797 when a visa is transferred while within US. Are both considered same for automatic revalidation?

There are 2 types of I-94, one which is made by the INS officer at the airport while we have entered US and then the other is the one which comes with the approval notice I-797 when a visa is transferred while within US. Are both considered same for automatic revalidation?
It's CBP officers who inspect you at the airport, BTW.

Answering your question, I believe all the I-94 must be treated in the same way.

I am affraid if I-94 will not be taken at the US border when you fly back to teh US by air plane. Or it will not be taken in any case either you fly or you travel by car?

Are you refering to travelling to Canada by air? In any case if you need a new I-94 then you have to voluntarily surrender the old one during departing the U.S. so that a departure record is generated.

Are you refering to travelling to Canada by air? In any case if you need a new I-94 then you have to voluntarily surrender the old one during departing the U.S. so that a departure record is generated.

I would say it is not possible to surrender your I-94 in case if you cross Canadian border in the car. The first official you see comming from US is Canadian officer who will not know what to do with your I-94.

Thanks. I mean I have an H1b status. I have an old I-94 and a new I-94, which came with approval of change of status. I plan to travel to canada by air. I understand that when I leave the US for Canada I do not give up my I-94. However, when I enter back to the US by air what will happen? Should I just show them my new valid I-94 and they will not take it from me? or they will take it?

Another issue is I am married to a US citizen but I read somewhere that you should prove your non-immigrant intentios. can it be an issue?

I would say it is not possible to surrender your I-94 in case if you cross Canadian border in the car. The first official you see comming from US is Canadian officer who will not know what to do with your I-94.

Thanks for the clarification. In my post my context was travelling by air.

Thanks. I mean I have an H1b status. I have an old I-94 and a new I-94, which came with approval of change of status. I plan to travel to canada by air. I understand that when I leave the US for Canada I do not give up my I-94. However, when I enter back to the US by air what will happen? Should I just show them my new valid I-94 and they will not take it from me? or they will take it?

Another issue is I am married to a US citizen but I read somewhere that you should prove your non-immigrant intentios. can it be an issue?

Since you will be flying from Canada to U.S. the immigration will commence before boarding the flight (from most Canadian airports). You don't have to submit I-94, just show the most recent I-94 if asked for. By the way, H-1B visa permitsdual intent, so you needn't worry about your marriage to an U.S. Citizen.