Atlanta Inteview Experience_Cherr1980

cherr1980

Registered Users (C)
Our experience was very far different from many posted here.

The background of our relationship: I was worry because I came in B2 (old visa) visa but he proposed me on November 2004 means that we were engaged before we got married here and no fiance visa. When we were dating I always said that I was coming to see my boyfriend. After we engaged I came with my parents so my parents meet his family and at the POE the woman asked me for my ring, I said that my boyfriend proposed me back home so she told me that then he was my fiancé and I should said that when I enter. So after that, every time that I was visiting him I always said that I was coming to visit my fiancé. Never had a problem at all! Now, I came here every single weekend that we were able to meet, we both were working for airlines so it was easy to travel without so many expenses. After he proposed me we did not put a date, was more than a promise to me than to “okay let’s go marry now”. There were many things to think about, first if I really wanted to come to live in the US, or if he was able to find a job in the US embassy or consulate at my country. I had a very good job, my family and friends I never imagine that I was living my country of my entire life! I mean do you want to leave a place that you can see both oceans the same day, god tropical weather all year round (well a lot of rain too) and 1 buck beers? no way!. I used to travel a lot even before I met my husband so I always have been an adventurer and want to feel free to do things before I just “tie the not”. But well, we did plan to get together for the holidays thinking the wedding was pretty far away, like a year from November 2004. He came down for Christmas 2004 and I came here for New Years 2004 and that was the last time I entered to the US. At the end of February we decided that we wanted to get marry here and have a military wedding.

Problem at the POE: I got troubles to get vacation for holidays, holidays is “high season” for airlines and the type of work that I did at the airline (that is the same I am doing now with another) is pretty tough to get time out on those dates (I am not a flight attendant). But for me, was question of to make my mind about if I really wanted to get marry and live here for the rest of my life (well except for my retirement) or to just keep in an infinite relationship. So I quit my job and I decided to stay awhile with my fiancé. It was a tough decision, but we were pretty confident that we were going to work things out. We bought tickets and we were in route entering via Houston. The worst POE ever! I never used that POE for enter just as an exit and just twice. The guy who asked me question was rude and asked me questions I was never asked before like: how much money I had with me, If I was working, I answered but very wisely (I said that I worked and the type of job I did but I said in past tense I don’t know if because I said it so quickly he thought I was saying it in present tense) I tried to smile and said that if everything was normal, he asked me if I had my ticket with me I said that it was an e-ticket duh! He kind of pissed off and took my passport and the I-94 and put it in a kind of Ziploc bag and told me to get in a room in front of the line. I got in; I couldn’t even see my fiancé at that moment (since the lines are different). When I get in there was a waiting a room and several little rooms inside. I tried to control myself and minimum I remembered so many ugly stories...anyway, another officer called my name (I took a quick look at his badge…Rodriguez), so at least get a name. The guy asked me for how long I was going to stay and I said around 6 weeks. That was it. He said “the other officer said that you were going to stay 6 months, I said I never said 6 months I said 6 weeks and there is a BIG difference even with a horrible accent (that I don’t have) between weeks and months!” he smiled and said “don’t worry, Happy New Year”. He stamped my I-94 and let me go…so you know why I was so worry before! My fiancé was so worry at baggage claim!

Interview: Our interview was at 10.30am, we got in at 9.55am. There was almost no parking in the parking deck. We passed security, my husband was in uniform and I was all dress to go to work after the interview thinking that was going just to take few hours and by 1pm I was going back to work. WRONG.
We get in; get on the elevator, fifth floor on the new building for ATL interviews at 6655 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd.
There were many people there, we leave our letter in a desk, and it was hot since the waiting room is not really a waiting room it was built for an office. There were just two doors in each side of the room and you are seating looking at them. We were making jokes about several stuff, there was a couple with a bunch of kids that was getting a little bit tired more than 3 including me. We met several people including a guy who was from Panama (few times I met people of my own country over here) too but his father is American and he married a girl from outside US and they told us the questions that the officer asked them and make them wait again outside that apparently a supervisor had to check and approved the application. We all started talking until another couple with a Colombian lady was called, she was talking with us too and she told me that they never received the change of address for the interview, so they were late. At 11-11.15am we got called in.

The guy who called us was very nice, he was Latin American descendant, he swored us, he asked and review e-v-e-r-y single document that was in my file, checked our names, addresses, phone numbers and signatures. He asked me if I had a social security number and if I was working. I answered all that, and then he asked for three of the most important questions from the I-485 (arrests, drugs and other one). He asked my husband about his divorce and what happened. He answered. He was married with a person of another country but the marriage last 8 years, while he was deployed she filed for divorce. Then he asked how we met, we said online first and we chat for around 2 months and then we visiting each other frequently. Then he asked when we decided to get marry, my husband answered with the truth that he proposed me on November 04 in Panama. Then he asked my husband the dates of his last deployment. My husband was like…ohhh, that was right after September 11th, but he managed to answer since it was more than a year ago. He asked other stuff to my husband about the military, my husband answered again and then they were talking their stuff and then the guy told us that he was asking because he wasin Ft Clayton (US military base in Panama, all US bases closed on 1999) and then my husband said that he was there too, and my husband and I said that we had several pictures of that place since I took him there after we met. He asked for joint bills, accounts and to check the pictures of Panama, so while my husband was showing those pictures they were talking and all that about the “old times” and I was separating the copies of the bills. We gave him copies of each one (just like 4 examples) and one original of our checking account from December. He didn’t want more. He asked for our ID's I don't know why the copies that we made I couldn't find them, so he made copies of them, our health, license and military ID's. When we thought that everything was over, he said that he had to have a final approval from the supervisor (I thought I was doom!) he said, wait outside and I called you back. The interview last approximately 20 minutes. So we left and seat down again, we saw most of the people going through the same process so we didn’t worry. We got call back like 20 minutes later, and the officer told us that there was an issue with my Medical. I couldn’t believe it! The problem that they found out and even the officer told us that it wasn’t our fault that he is sorry for that, but the doctor just put the vaccinations that I got here (the chicken pox which I never had and my blood test indicated that I need it that is why I took it), but the doctor forgot to check out the vaccination that I was okay! That it was almost everything on the list!!!! Even the doctor put that everything was met; for the supervisor wasn’t enough and she needed that the doctor did AGAIN the I-693 and complete the vaccination report.
My husband told the officer that we can fix that for today that if we had time. We remembered that the doctor office was less than 3 blocks from that building. The officer agreed and gave us a copy of my medical (that I did had before and for me was complete) told us that the doctor should know how to fill out that form! I said after 150 bucks she should know even how to fill out in 5 languages!! And gave us our interview notice again with a stamp with his name and instructions for the I-693 and with due date of today. So we ran out took the car, went to the doctor’s office, we were pissed, my husband even was going to sue her (he was MAD :mad: )and I calmed him down because they were taking a lot of time to fix the problem, they gave us a new I-693 the doctor check the rest of the boxes that I don’t need new more vaccinations and signed it and put everything on a new sealed envelope. That took us like an hour! I was starting to cry while waiting because I was tired! For me if was something in my control I knew that I could fix it right away, but because other people! Oufff. My husband calmed me down and hugs me and kissed me and told me that everything was going to be fine. We got back to the USCIS office, we put the letter back on and we got called again after 15 minutes. We gave the office (same officer) the sealed envelope and then he said okay let me go to the supervisor…the waiting was 10 more minutes inside the cubicle. When he came back he said “Okay this is done, your case is approved”, and he stamped a big APPROVED in my application on the file!!! He asked me for my passport and put the stamp of I-551 bla bla, signed it, put the date on it and then he started to explain me all the stuff , to remember to change the status on my SSN, that I can travel that don’t worry that I should carry my marriage certificate with it until I change my name in my passport, that remember to change my conditional, wrote down in a post it the date that I should file my I-751. My husband gave him his military card, the guy smile and laugh with us after that and he said that unfortunately with so many things and illegal immigration things are getting and will get tougher, we said that unfortunately we as a true marriage are the one who suffered because of it, he agreed and he said that we have nothing to worry that was just that medical stuff. Everything was done at 2.40pm!!!

I was so relieved, tired, excited! When we left the room, my husband grabbed me and stamped a big kiss in my lips..he is so sweet! I have no words to describe my feelings, is just weird. We plan to travel to Panama next week because I got days of vacation and surprise my family, they still thinking that my case is still pending. We went to Smokey Bones for lunch at 2.50pm and drank a nice cold Margarita! And today I will make sangria! I called later my manager to told her that definitely today is one of my vacation day because things got complicated BUT that I will coming back to work tomorrow because now I am a US Permanent Resident!!! Hoooha!!!

OMG what a mess you had to go through, but finally you're done and approved.
I'm so happy for you guys. Congratulations !!!

Besos y abrazos

Dear Cherr... I am so sorry for that mess, but you are done, the only thing which is really matter!

Congratulations, enjoy your freedom, don't worry, be happy! You deserve it!

:)

Woohoooo ! Congrats to you !! I am happy for you, you helped a lot of people out here, you deserve your new status :D !!!! Enjoy !!!!! :D :D

Ema.

Thanks a lot! Really, I thought that today this was not going to be over...just imagine so many things to think, the B2, the problem at the POE, the FBI name check that I have to confess that I was not worry about it but definitely the one that I was not worry about was going to be my nightmare, the stupid medical! hahaa. Now I am kind of concern about to travel with that stamp...is just you know that rubber stamp...what it suppose to happen when I return? just curious...

All's well that ends well :) CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! Im so happy for you. Its time to enjoy that long awaited freedom and celebrate. Welcome to the club :D

Cherr,

I had also a "problem" at the Chicago POE in 2001, they asked also if I had money with me, if I work in my country, how long am I gonna stay. I really thought they were going to send me back (and my son too !) but they didn't (what a surprised for me ??!!). I was worried about that at the interview, and well... the officer never asked nothing !!
I don't think you should worry about the stamp. That stamp is showing your status, right ? Maybe a "last" call to the INS :p is needed, lol... you know, just in case !

Ema.

P.S. : What is your country of citizenship, by the way, looks like paradise to me !! :D :D :D

cherr1980 said:
Thanks a lot! Really, I thought that today this was not going to be over...just imagine so many things to think, the B2, the problem at the POE, the FBI name check that I have to confess that I was not worry about it but definitely the one that I was not worry about was going to be my nightmare, the stupid medical! hahaa. Now I am kind of concern about to travel with that stamp...is just you know that rubber stamp...what it suppose to happen when I return? just curious...

If you have time to wait, you can travel after you get your card. If not, then you already have your I-551 on the passport, your welcome letter should be on the way, you can take that with your I-551 when you travel.

Oh is Panama City, Panama.
And when in so many posts people want to use the "race card" I always reply like "give me a break" is because I am black, well brownish hahaha and a lot of other races in my blood and my husband is white as a cotton ball.
Thanks Ari, Ema, Jane, all the new people, RareG, Rex...thanks!
Well my husband already told me STOP to worry, so we are going in our tropical trip to eat clams and drink beer in front of the ocean next week.

Cherr,

congratulations to you, this is so fantastic!!!
I'm sure your approval made up for the mess at the interview! I can only imagine how tense it must have been...
But hey, you got it, it's all good now! Congratulations again and all the best for you!!!

:D

Thanks Patty!
Yes Ema, I remembered your case about the POE.
Ari, hey thanks to clear me out (as always). Guess what, we tried to finish our taxes 2005, we finished after several glitches with Turbo Tax and their technical support and the officer never asked about the taxes hahaha. Good news, we will get a wonderful refund.
The officer never took my I-94 neither my EAD, even I told him about them, he said that all that is void now that I can't use it anyway, that be clear that "you are a US Permanent Resident it is very important that you change your status at the SSA for your benefits adn at your work. That I am not anymore a B2 visitor that I am US LPR, he repeat it so many times! (I was okay dear I KNOW THAT! :) ) Well I look info at the ICE website and the ADIT stamp is the one we got at the passport...so I should be okay. Well I still have a week and a half to go so I will see if something comes on the mail. He told me that it will take around 60 days to get the card on the mail.
Thanks Need! to keep the ATL threat alive!

Last edited by a moderator:
cherr1980 said:
When we left the room, my husband grabbed me and stamped a big kiss in my lips.

He could not even wait to get home to GRAB you??? No patience at all there. ;) He seems to be a stallion. I’m sure his hard on ‘stamped kiss’ on your lips must have been more exciting and sweeter than a wonderful stamp of I-551 on your passport, is it? It remains in the eyes of the beholder, isn’t it? :rolleyes:

There is no difference between a plastic green card and a stamp of I-551 on the passport. Both serve the same purposes. Both are good for working, traveling and using as a proof of US legal permanent residency. That’s the ONLY reason adjudication officers stamp the passport with such a stamp upon the approval of I-485. That being said, there should not be any fear, ands, ors, ifs, buts, should, could, would. Because the fact still remains the same that you are now a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States of America. Everything is in the system.

Also, it should be noted that if you ever loose your plastic green card outside the US, then you would need to visit a local US Consulate/Embassy wherein you will be issued a ‘returning resident’ visa to enter into the US.

Good Luck. I like happy ending. Are you guys going to be ganged up on a citizenship forum in a near future? Sounds like a plan to me. ;)

Vous et votre mari semblez être dans l'amour beaucoup. Bonne chance dans votre vie de mariage. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
CONGRATULATION!

Please do not forget, three years from now, to post your happy message in the...CITIZENSHIP forum
:)

Cherr! I am so happy for you!!! Congratulations!!! :)
Gosh, what a story, what a day you had….
But finally, the hardest part of your journey is over. You done it - you are the permanent resident now, a free woman! Enjoy your new status and good luck with all your other dreams and goals. :)
I bet you two, happy lovebirds, are out tonight celebrating. ;)
Congratulations again! :D
Jane

Thanks everybody and Johnny! hey welcome back!
Suzy yes I will be in the citizenship forum not because relatives is because of me and not be renovating anything (they are happy where they are, they don't like any weather under 70F).
Johnny thanks! hahaha well he was really pissed off with the doctor...yesterday we were just drained with so many emotions. Today I just gave the news to my manager and she was so happy!

Congratulations Cherr1980. Indeed your experience was unique. One thing is for sure that noboday can guess what USCIS will ask for. But the process is over!!! Good Luck with your future plans.