Asylum interview

Lael Abay

Hi all,
I had my asylum interview a few days ago. A representative from the Chicago office interviewed me. I am not sure if it went well or not. The AO told me to renew my Ethiopian passport even though I am asking asylum because of my fear of prosecution in Ethiopia. Was that a trick question? I told him that I can’t renew my passport because the embassy is part of the government. But he told me that I am still an Ethiopian citizen and many in my place have renewed their passport. I don’t know why he would tell me to do that? Has he already decided to reject my case? Any help and advice is appreciated.
Thank you
Lael

Asylum officers don't usually decide cases before they analyze all information you gave them whether it is in a written form or your answers at the interview. You might get some sense whether the decision will be in your favor or not, but frequently people are wrong in their assumptions. Your passport-related question doesn't have anything to do with the officer's decision. Don't think about it too much. Good luck.

Hi all,
I had my asylum interview a few days ago. A representative from the Chicago office interviewed me. I am not sure if it went well or not. The AO told me to renew my Ethiopian passport even though I am asking asylum because of my fear of prosecution in Ethiopia. Was that a trick question? I told him that I can’t renew my passport because the embassy is part of the government. But he told me that I am still an Ethiopian citizen and many in my place have renewed their passport. I don’t know why he would tell me to do that? Has he already decided to reject my case? Any help and advice is appreciated.
Thank you
Lael
any news from your interview result? can you share some of the questions of the interview

Hi all,
Thank you
Lael
Hi Lael, Did you hear back from the Chicago office? Have they communicate a decision?

Same doubt i have my AO kept only 2 copies of addtional docs on interview days.
Do i think he made some decision approved or move to IJ?
Why 3 copies of additional docs required? I believe one for judge , one for AO, one for AO director.