Asylum GC travel out of US?

cnusgccs

Registered Users (C)
I now have GC based on asylum. I want to visit Japan (not my COP). I have some questions:

1. RTD vs RP
Which one is better?

2. Does RTD (or RP) serve as a NP? When I go to Japanese consulate in US for visa, are RTD (or RP) and the GC the only document I need to show them?

3. Do I still need to carry my NP while traveling?

4. When I enter Japan, will they ask me to show my GC? Or just RTD (or RP)?

5. If I go to Japan using RTD (or RP) and my GC, then go to Hongkong using my NP( by going to hongkong consulate in Japan to get a visa on NP), then come back to Japan using NP, and finaly go back to US using RTD (or RP), this way, does USCIS know I visit Hongkong?

6. when in the future I have interview for citizenship, do I need to bring RTD (or RP) I ever used?

Thanks

1 - Both of them are same book. But type are different. RTD is valid only 1 years which is issued only to Refugee/Asylum who doesn't have yet green card. RP is valid for 2 years which is issued to only GC holders of any category.

2 - Yes It can be used as Nation passport, because US gov issue RTD to whom who doesn't have Passport. Yes, you might need RP and GC to them.

3 - You don't need it. Forget about yours NP. If you get visa on NP, then you have to bring.

4 - They will ask your RT to stamp the visa. Well, they might ask GC if they want.

5 - As far as I know, USCIS will know about it. You have to report about where you visited to actually if they asked. But I am doubt about Japan custom check point, they(Japan) may ask their visa stamp (liked I94 card - which we have in US) before you leave Japan. So, please get experience answers from others too. I don't have experience on this :) And Please let me know your trips after you visited to Japan with US RP and to HK with NP.

6 - You have to bring your travel documents in the interview. They will ask your length of travels within 5 years of PR.

Hope it will help!

I now have GC based on asylum. I want to visit Japan (not my COP). I have some questions:

1. RTD vs RP
Which one is better?

2. Does RTD (or RP) serve as a NP? When I go to Japanese consulate in US for visa, are RTD (or RP) and the GC the only document I need to show them?

5. If I go to Japan using RTD (or RP) and my GC, then go to Hongkong using my NP( by going to hongkong consulate in Japan to get a visa on NP), then come back to Japan using NP, and finaly go back to US using RTD (or RP), this way, does USCIS know I visit Hongkong?

6. when in the future I have interview for citizenship, do I need to bring RTD (or RP) I ever used?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

1. RTD vs RP
Which one is better?

Thanks

yo can use RTD OR RP to enter japan, both documents are accepted by japanese consulate general,

i used RTD when i was asylee to enter japan, then i used RP when i got green card

when you use RTD the japanese consulate will ask for a lot of documentation

to get visa, if you have GC they will ask for less requirements

it take only a week to get a visa, when you enter japan most likely they may send you for second inspection

when you apply for a visa to japan forget about your NP

Japan travel

Just a question: Do yo u have a sponsor in japan? They might want to see that you have a sponsor before they issue you the visa. ia m not sure of the rules from the US but when I lived in japan I had to send documents for a friend to get a visa to come see me

Thanks for all of your help:) especially to winthan!

I will, luckily, get married next year. We're planning our wedding and honey moon. She wants Japan for our honey moon and Hongkong for wedding(she has lots of relatives in HK)

My major concern is that HK is too close to my COP (China), the two countries' relation is very treaky. So I really don't want to use NP or RP for HK visa, but I have to use one of them for HK visa. Does my asylum info appear on RP? If yes, when I go get a HK visa, HK will know, and probably China will know. And idea?

My major concern is that HK is too close to my COP (China), the two countries' relation is very treaky. So I really don't want to use NP or RP for HK visa, but I have to use one of them for HK visa. Does my asylum info appear on RP? If yes, when I go get a HK visa, HK will know, and probably China will know. And idea?

I think, there is one document which it can be used as passport, that is called "THE WORLD PASSPORT", in the past years, I am sure that most of African/Stateless/Refugee use that passport to travel around the world. Later on, US/UK and some others countries ban that passport, because the so called world passport is issued from US based Non-Gov (Mr. Garry Davis). But some of countries (Africa continents) are still accept that passport for travel purpose.

By now, I haven't see any update of that passport acceptation details clearly, does it still accept by CHINA/HK/SINGAPORE,JAPAN, MALAY? So consult your destination embassy and ask them about visa on the world travel document. If they accept, then go and get passport legally without spending much money within 2 week. That will cost only about less than $150 i think.

I am thinking about to get it too, to test on Singapore embassy at Washington DC since Singapore consular doesn't allow any US Travel documents (RTD, RTD+ Green Card, RP + Green Card). A Singapore Consular at NYC is idiot, every times when inquire are made for Visa details, she asked everytime about the copy (Travel document) to fax to their machine on the phone even I explained form number of US Travel document. Singapore Consular never tell us directly that they never accept any US Travel documents since 2007 before she got US travel document with photo identification. After she received every time, she explains about all of form numbers of US Travel documents are not acceptable due to 2007 foreign policies changed.

Order to inquiry about Visa for Singapore, you should have an passport.
Others countries, you can just shoot the email or talk on the phone with your destinations consular nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your idea about world passport.
It seems SG govment is very unreasonable.
But I don't think HK or JP will accept world passport.

Will you tell me what info appear on RP?
I think I'll just use RP+GC for my HK and Japan trip. Hope HK will not find fault with me.

what is your current category? Check your green card, which category you are in. Same as it is, it will come on RP.