Asylum filing eligibility

Miss_chang

Registered Users (C)
Here's the scenario.

Sister lives in Fremont, CA.

Brother lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

They wanna file for asylum together from CA. Does the brother need to move to CA? He goes to school in Colorado and is almost done (senior year), so he can't really transfer at this moment.

I would think that they could apply together in CA. He would need to be available for the interview in CA.

I guess your brother should apply under whatever jurisdiction Colorado falls, it is because they will send his file back to colorado if he just moves to california for asylum application.

Thats what i would do because you and your brother can't be derivative for each other, in other words you can't claim him in your application. So you would have to file separately. I would suggest him to file from Colorado.

This is what I would do. If the case is similar with the same claims and evidence, I would apply in CA for both and if possible have a joint interview meaning both your brother and sister are interviewed together. My brother and I were able to do that in Immigration Court. During interview dates, your brother will have to fly to CA and all the mail from USCIS can be mailed to your sister in CA.