1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asylum Applicant marrying citizen

Discussion in 'Political Asylum in USA' started by gtaid1, Jan 7, 2017.

  1. gtaid1

    gtaid1 Registered Users (C)

    Hi All,

    I filed for asylum in 2013 and now just got married to US citizen. My asylum application is still pending.
    My spouse is going to apply green card for me. Do I need to do anything with my asylum application first or just leave it as is?

    Please help me and thank you for your response in advance.
  2. Asylum seeker

    Asylum seeker Registered Users (C)

    You need to ask a lawyer to make sure you doing the right step. I'm not sure and I'm not lawyer but I think you should sent a letter to your asylum office asking them to withdraw your asylum application in order to go ahead and file for greencard.
    Or you can make a infoPass appointment in your nearest USCIS office to ask them what you supposed to do.
    Please keep us updated and let us know what is the right answer once you get it from them.
    matrix Cartel likes this.
  3. USC2013

    USC2013 Registered Users (C)

    Lawyer /lawyer....
  4. Asylum seeker

    Asylum seeker Registered Users (C)

    Hi USC2013
    What do you mean by that?! :)
  5. gtaid1

    gtaid1 Registered Users (C)

    Thanks all for replying....do you know how much a lawyer would cost me?
  6. USC2013

    USC2013 Registered Users (C)

    tell us in which city you are. ..then someone will probably give you a name...
  7. matrix Cartel

    matrix Cartel New Member

    The lawyer has to be a big firm and with big firm you can negotiate the fees it will not cost you more than $4000
  8. matrix Cartel

    matrix Cartel New Member

    Yes as @AsylumSeeker has mentioned don't file the GC by yourself when you go for GC interview you will for sure need attorney. be ready to keep $4000 as whole fees until you get GC. pay in installment deposit the lawyer around $1000 and pay the balance less than $500 a month. GC will take minimum 6 month by this time you will be able to pay your lawyer fees with your EAD make income.and make sure you have more than minimum income so you and your spouse income does not come less than the property line of income to qualify for GC. This is how we did for a friend with their lawyer.
  9. gtaid1

    gtaid1 Registered Users (C)

    Just wanted to ask if someone else has gone through similar situation, also if know good lawyer in southern CA.

    Paying lawyer to do the work seems to be too much for me right now and I also don't want to lose my chance of getting green card either.

    I would like to know what you guys think, should I apply by myself?
  10. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    Contrary to what others have said, I don't see any reason why you would need to pay some lawyer thousands of $$$ in to file a marriage based AOS petition. I know of a decent number of asylum pending cases who won the diversity visa lottery and successfully filed their DV based AOS petitions without the assistance of a lawyer.

    And no, you don't need to withdraw the pending asylum petition. If your marriage based AOS petition gets approved first, you simply go back and withdraw the asylum petition at that point.
  11. IN2US15

    IN2US15 Member

    @Sm1smom , YOUR COMMENT GIVES ME SOME HOPE. My case has been referred to court and suffering from PTSD, I am in a very bad shape. I went through the following article:

    where one DV based case was rejected in such scenario, but some lawyers say it is possible to adjust status without leaving country while your case is in court others say it is not possible. I have even spoken telephonically to couple of lawyers( one charged 250 and other 200 for it) and did not come up with anything solid. Can you guide me please, I can beg/borrow money for EB5 if it is possible to adjust status via this method. Please, Please help!!
  12. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    Sorry, can't help or comment on your case.
  13. gtaid1

    gtaid1 Registered Users (C)

    YES this is true....I was disappointed of answers here so I made appointment with an attorney for consultation. Came here to post what I learned for others and saw your post.

    attorney charged $50 consultation fee, would charge about $2800 to take my case. Located in Southern California.


  14. den martinez

    den martinez New Member

    Hello guys,is anyone can tell me something please,my wife case is administratively closed (removal proceding) bu its not terminated, we file I -130 in october 29 2106 its been almost 6 month the case was transefer for "workload puproses" on Feb 7 ,how long it will take who knows??

Share This Page