Arranged marriage and k1 visa

smiriyal

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
This is for a friend of mine ..he is a Phd student in Sweden and wants to marry a distant relative who is a US citizen . This is more of the arranged marriage kind of deals quie common in our parts of the world, they know each other from childhood but very less interaction. Is it possible for k1 visa for such a case ?
Does the future bride have to go to sweden and get engaged officially? you know the ring and all ..
What is a better approach go for consular processing after marriage or k1 ?The brides parents want the wedding to be in USA ..
what all proof is needed for k1 visa ? how long is the process usually .

One last thing is he has almsot 6 months left before he graduates .. can he get married in sweden or apply k1 from sweden or go back to india and start the process ..
Too many questions I know but any answers would help.

Have the 2 people in question physically met one another at least once in the past 2 years?
If not- does their religion specifically not allow the bride to meet her groom until the wedding?

If they get married, then they will no longer be eligible to apply for the K1 and instead will need to apply for a spousal visa.

Hi smiriyal,
Using the Form I-129F you can apply for K-1 visa and start petition in US. After the visa is issued the alien can enter US but should get married within 90 days from the date of arrival. Once the wedding is over the alien is given the conditional resident status which is valid for two years. 90 days prior to the conditional status expiry Form I-485 should to filed to adjust the status from conditional to permanent resident status (green card) for the alien with proof that the marriage is still intact. If the wedding happens outside US and before alien enters US then US citizen should file for K-3 spouse visa for the alien to enter US and rest of the process should be done.Good luck to your friend!

cabras,
No they haven't met in last two years but there has been some online interaction on social media websites and emails..as they are distant relatives.His parents are here in USA and did the marriage talks with the bride's parents ..His question is how can they be engaged in teh eyes of USCIS if they have not physically met ..though in his culture the parents agreement is accepted as engagement.
The brides entire family are US settled so they want the wedding in USA ..so the question.
Thanks,
smiriyal

If they want to pursue the K1 visa then they will have to meet in person and have proof that they have (passport stamps/airline boarding passes to one another's country that are dated). It is a requirement for the K1 that they have at least physically met each once in the past 2 years.