Arlington Center- I551 :Passport Stamping Experience

skn2k

Registered Users (C)
Finally relieved after my Passport stamping at Arlington INS center, VA.

In the notice INS mentioned to goto Room 210 which is general information and processing (Over the counter).

I was there by 6:30
There were almost 50 people ahead of me.
I was in by 7:30
But again a long queue of 50 in the room#210 taking their tickets which is the way Arlington center handles and display their ticket numbers when their turn comes.
So after taking my ticket at 8:15 AM, i had to wait till 11AM when my turn came.
It was very easy and simple.
The Officer took my Passport,Previous EAD's,I94 and asked me to sign form I89 also took finger prints of my Index Finger on it.
Stamped my Passport with I551 and explained i will get my Original Plastic card within 6-12 months.

I went to Social security office to update, the guy said their system may not be updated as i had stamping today.
He tried, But guess, it was updated. And he said i will recieve a new Card without any INS blurb on it within 10 days.

So that ends my experience. Very smooth but waited for 4 hrs.

I asked couple of name change questions (may be this is helpful):
I want to change my Spouse's last name and her I485 is pending.
He said its very easy and i can change it at the time of I551 stamping so that the new card will be with the new name. All i need to get is a "Court Order for name change or a Marriage Certificate". Thats all.

Very funny

regarding individual experiences.
We too went for our passport stamping today at Hartford INS office (total time taken was 2 hours and ten minutes) and all that the lady attending to us asked was for our ticket, Approval notice and passport.
She also asked if we wanted our passport to be stamped.
DUH!!!!!
I asked her if she wanted any additional documents and she said "NO" (my attorney had sent us a letter asking us to take the EAD, AP, I-94 along with photos and passport. Hartford INS office will even take your photos (I spent 32 bucks at SEARS for nothing) along with the fingerprints.
She asked us to take a seat and ten minutes later, we had our passport with the rubber stamp (my spouse was pretty let down with this ordinary looking rubber stamp. she was expecting it to look like an H1/H4 laminated visa stamp).
Overall, it was a very pleasant experience with an absolutely friendly and cheerfully smiling staff (considering it to be a monday morning).
As for Social security card change, we don't want to do it till we get the plastic to avoid any unwanted trips as we had to when we got the EAD (took 2 months for the spouse to get the SSN because the system could not find the required records).
May be the individual requirements depend on the locations.

skn2k...........

If I remember right.............you have a Sept RD with a RFE ..................right???
If yes ....please post the details as to when your RFE got approved.......

Thanks

Tusker, RFE Response recieved by INS on 26th September

Yes, i have the same RD as urs. My RFE was regarding Medical Supplemental forms.
INS recieved my RFE Response some time between 15-18th of september.

Waited for 2 weeks and called IIO, but IIO said that 2 week period mentioned in the notice starts after the Audit on 8th October.

And as she said, it got approved on 18th October.

Hi skn2k,

A question.? What do you mean by .......

I went to Social security office to update, the guy said their system may not be updated as i had stamping today.

What needs to be with Social Security update.? Is this after stamping the pp.?

Please let me know.

Cheers.!

the SS card you currently have as a non-immigrant H1b will have "under INS..."

As a H1B Non-immigrant, your Social Security card shows "Work with INS Authorization only"

But once ur I485 is approved and your passport is stamped with I551, You are no more a H1B non-Immigrant, you are a Permanent Resident and your Social Security data must be updated and SS card needs to be changed.

Means, with no INS blurb "Work with INS authorization only"...

You need to go to SS office and then update in this matter..

skn2k

My RFE response reached INS on Oct 10th. Same msg online and on the AVM. Does that 2 week logic apply to me too????:confused: :D

My RFE was for W2/employement letter/pay stubs.

It's past 2 weeks since they received my response....u think it's a good idea to talk to an IIO .......or just wait and watch??

What's ur spouse's RD??? My wife's 485 too was filed separately....RD Apr2002...

Have fun now..........

Tusker, Wait for one more week....

Wait for one more week.Does ur notice say, Approximate processing time 2 weeks after receiving the response?

My wife's RD is April 3rd 2002. Same old message on AVM and online..

skn2k...........

My RFE notice does say it takes 14 - 60 days to process such kind of cases once the response is received by INS. AVM/Online status has been updated to .........Response received on Oct 10th......

Hanging in there...........:rolleyes: