Aren't they making you to commit false statement?

thrix

Registered Users (C)
Before the oath (in NY) they give voter registration forms and they ask to fill them out and then they collect it. Everyone checks that is US Citizen, but that is not true, since there was no oath before that. Everone is making false statement and court allows it! We are us citizens after oath, not before and it's false statement about citizenship. Should they take citizenships from that people ?

Before the oath (in NY) they give voter registration forms and they ask to fill them out and then they collect it. Everyone checks that is US Citizen, but that is not true, since there was no oath before that. Everone is making false statement and court allows it! We are us citizens after oath, not before and it's false statement about citizenship. Should they take citizenships from that people ?

It's a secret ploy by the US government to denationalize as many citizens as possible before the upcoming elections. :D

More seriously, I don't see it as an issue as the consideration as a US citizen is made on a day , not hourly basis. For example, when you register as a voter at 1:00pm on Oct 2nd and your oath is only at 2:00pm on Oct 2nd, they will consider that you became a US citizen on Oct 2nd. The 1 hour time delay of becoming a citizen is not an issue in this case.
Now if you registered as a US voter on Oct 1st, and your oath was only the next day Oct 2nd then that might be an issue as there was an entire day lapse between being a non US citizen and US citizen.

At our oath ceremeony, we were told not to sign the voter registration cards or passport application until AFTER the actual oath was administered. At that point, the cards were collected.

thrix,
you are going to be a citizen, do you think few hours will make difference? You were asked to sign...congratulation on your becoming a citizen. if you have a serious matter or you want to describe how your interview went fine otherwise enjoy the amereican dream.

Simple, don't sign the form until after the oath. That's what I did and nobody had to tell me. Otherwise one would have to go to the little details of when the crime happened, if at the time of signing, or at the time of filing. I could write and sign a bunch of I-9 forms at my home claiming to be a citizen, sign them and destroy them after that. What would that mean in the whole scheme of things? ;) Anyway, good catch :) You are right that they shouldn't ask you to complete and sign until after the oath, but on the whole scheme of things I don't think it makes a difference.

It is not USCIS that is handing you the voter registration form. It is probably some volunteer organzation that is doing that with the permission of USCIS at the oath ceremony. Don't expect those volunteers to be experts in this issue. Know the law, and follow the law.
It is technicality...but might come back to bite you if there was an issue with your certificate..or as they usually say "due to unforceen circumstances..." you were asked to come back some other days for the ceremony.

...issue with your certificate..or as they usually say "due to unforceen circumstances..." you were asked to come back some other days for the ceremony.

The way the OP described it made it sound like it happened as part of the actual ceremony itself, just before taking the oath. Even with a certificate issue you'd still be a citizen the same day (taking the oath determines that you have become a US citizen). As for the "unforseen circumstances..", unless there was a fire alarm right before the oath I doubt the oath would be canceled once the ceremony begins. Even then, I highly doubt anything would come out of registering while not being a citizen since you would have had to have done it knowingly and with intent in order for it to be considered a crime.

In my experience the voter form can be filled during the ceremony, but it is only filed (put on a box, given to someone) after the ceremony is done. If there has been a problem with the oath you just don't submit the form. If there is a typo on the certificate that shouldn't be a problem, one is still a citizen. Anyway, if one wants to do things by the book, don't sign the form until after the oath is given. There are protections under the law when one has a reasonable expectation of being a citizen, so I would expect that in the worst case if one takes the oath, submits the form, but right after that USCIS says that there was an error and that person shouldn't have taken the oath (anyway, tough luck for USCIS because I think it wouldn't be that easy to reverse that mistake) and that the naturalization was invalid (if that were possible) I think a reasonable judge would see that the person didn't commit a crime as that person had a reasonable expectation of being a citizen.

.. I think a reasonable judge would see that the person didn't commit a crime as that person had a reasonable expectation of being a citizen.

That's assuming that USCIS would pursue such an issue in the first place. Perhaps they they should add on the the oath letter "since your interview have you knowingly and willingly claimed to be a US citizen"?

In my experience the voter form can be filled during the ceremony, but it is only filed (put on a box, given to someone) after the ceremony is done. If there has been a problem with the oath you just don't submit the form. If there is a typo on the certificate that shouldn't be a problem, one is still a citizen. Anyway, if one wants to do things by the book, don't sign the form until after the oath is given. There are protections under the law when one has a reasonable expectation of being a citizen, so I would expect that in the worst case if one takes the oath, submits the form, but right after that USCIS says that there was an error and that person shouldn't have taken the oath (anyway, tough luck for USCIS because I think it wouldn't be that easy to reverse that mistake) and that the naturalization was invalid (if that were possible) I think a reasonable judge would see that the person didn't commit a crime as that person had a reasonable expectation of being a citizen.

You can write whatever you want and sign the form a million times but until you hand it in to them, how could it be an issue. And more broadly, the poster is obviously having fun.

You can write whatever you want and sign the form a million times but until you hand it in to them, how could it be an issue. And more broadly, the poster is obviously having fun.

That was my point, that as long as you don't hand it in there is no harm done. I was trying to discuss the issue from a hypothetical point of view. I understand the whole thread is not about a serious issue.

That was my point, that as long as you don't hand it in there is no harm done. I was trying to discuss the issue from a hypothetical point of view. I understand the whole thread is not about a serious issue.

Agreed.