Are the cutoff dates legislated or just operational procedure

Sc3

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
Ok, getting desparate here!. Sorry about the dumb question, but is the cutoff dates based on some legislative law, or is it just an operating procedure which USCIS used to manage their workload?

Thanks,
Sc3

It is based on the quota set by the immigration law. I do not think there is anything that USCIS can do. Maybe conatct with congressmen and senators to push changes in law will be more useful.

Sc3 said:
Hi all,
Ok, getting desparate here!. Sorry about the dumb question, but is the cutoff dates based on some legislative law, or is it just an operating procedure which USCIS used to manage their workload?

Thanks,
Sc3

EAin2005 said:
It is based on the quota set by the immigration law. I do not think there is anything that USCIS can do. Maybe conatct with congressmen and senators to push changes in law will be more useful.

Thanks for replying. I have another question: Since the intake is regulated based on monthly cutoff dates, how is it possible that the visas were unavailable for the last quarter of FY2005 ? Did USCIS take more applications than was permitted by law?