Applying from outside USA (Canada). Can you leave during processing time?


New Member
I’ll be sponsoring my husband for a marriage visa (I’m American, he’s Canadian). Once we file his application for permanent residency/green card, does he need to remain in Canada while it is processing? Or can he move with me and our children to the US while it is processing and travel back to Canada for his interview (which I’m seeing has to be in Montreal)?? Thanks!


Super Moderator
No, he cannot live or remain in the US while the application is pending at the embassy. Your husband may visit and stay for the duration of his granted stay only, following which he will need to depart from the US.