Applying for political Asylum from J1 Visa

santiago_228

Hello

My name is Santiago and Currently I'm in the US under a J1 visa, also in my Visa is stamped with the "two year stay requirement".
The thing is that I would like to apply for asylum here in the US. I came here about 2 months ago to have an intercultural exchange (totally funded by the US government and the government of my home country) but since the situation in my home country has drastically changed (is really bad) I've decided to do some research about the asylum option.

So basically I want to know:

1. Should I first file a Waiver for my J1 visa or apply for the asylum first? or both at the same time? (my current visa will expire in 7 months)
2. What are the consequences if my request for asylum is denied? What will happen to my J1 Visa?
3. What will happen if my request is granted? I mean, how my relationship changes with respect to the university I work for and study in?
4. Will I be able to travel some day to my home country to visit my family? or that will not be an option?

Thank you in advance

Why are you considering applying for asylum?

Asylum is for people who have been persecuted in their home country OR who have credible fear for future persecution in their home country. These are the only grounds that you can request asylum on.

Have you been persecuted? Are you likely to face persecution in the future?

Bad economic conditions in your country do not qualify you for asylum. Good luck.

Why are you considering applying for asylum?

Asylum is for people who have been persecuted in their home country OR who have credible fear for future persecution in their home country. These are the only grounds that you can request asylum on.

Have you been persecuted? Are you likely to face persecution in the future?

Bad economic conditions in your country do not qualify you for asylum. Good luck.
I'm likekly to face persecution in the future. That's why I'm asking.

I'm likekly to face persecution in the future. That's why I'm asking.

Someone with a genuine reason necessitating a need to file for asylum is highly unlikely to be be asking questions about the consequences of filing for asylum considering that is the only option they have.

Are you from Chile? According to the statistics, no Chilean was granted asylum in the U.S. in FY 2020, cuz Chile is a free country.