Applying for Passport book and card

marf

If I want to apply for Passport book and card, how much photos should I submit? Can't find answer anywhere.

Has anyone applied for a passport card along with a new passport book?

Has anyone received a passport card?

Is your passport book delayed if you apply for passport card?

Why are you applying for both? The card is only good for travel to Canada and Mexico by land and the passport is just as good.

Yes, I applied for both passport book and card on 04/18/2008. I received my passport yesterday 04/25/2008.

Passport card issue will begin only in June, and will catch up on the backlog by July 2008. From August onwards, books and cards will be processed and mailed together.

So, if you apply now, you will get your passport book within 2 weeks, and the passport card in June/July.

You need only 2 photos - whether you apply for both or either one.

Yes, I applied for both passport book and card on 04/18/2008. I received my passport yesterday 04/25/2008.

Passport card issue will begin only in June, and will catch up on the backlog by July 2008. From August onwards, books and cards will be processed and mailed together.

So, if you apply now, you will get your passport book within 2 weeks, and the passport card in June/July.

You need only 2 photos - whether you apply for both or either one.

Thanks Ravi. Good to know passport card does not delay passport book.

You don't need to go home to get the passport book

Why are you applying for both? The card is only good for travel to Canada and Mexico by land and the passport is just as good.
Since I live near the Canadian border, I see a good point in applying for both passport book and passport card. I like to leave the passport book at home where I know I'll find it if and when I need to fly overseas. By keeping the passport card in my wallet, I always would carry it around (like the driver's license) and if I decide to cross over to Canada just for the afternoon, I would not need to get back home to get the passport.
--------------
Naturalized on 10/26/2007 in Detroit

So I applied for my passport book last week. Still no online status :rolleyes: But the checks both cleared on Friday. So can anyone out there guestimate how long after the checks clear to receive the passport?

Since I live near the Canadian border, I see a good point in applying for both passport book and passport card. I like to leave the passport book at home where I know I'll find it if and when I need to fly overseas. By keeping the passport card in my wallet, I always would carry it around (like the driver's license) and if I decide to cross over to Canada just for the afternoon, I would not need to get back home to get the passport.
--------------
Naturalized on 10/26/2007 in Detroit

Just make sure that to take care of passport card very well. If you lose it, it is like losing the passport. You will have to inform state dept and also may have to file police report before you can get a duplicate.

I assume you are not one of those who did not carry their GCs on them fearing they would lose it?

By keeping the passport card in my wallet, I always would carry it around (like the driver's license) and if I decide to cross over to Canada just for the afternoon, I would not need to get back home to get the passport.

So I applied for my passport book last week. Still no online status :rolleyes: But the checks both cleared on Friday. So can anyone out there guestimate how long after the checks clear to receive the passport?

When you check your status online, if there is no match, then you can still register your email address with them for notification.

When you check your status online, if there is no match, then you can still register your email address with them for notification.

Yes I noticed that, so I did register, but I received no emails or anything so far. No status online either, it still says my application cannot be found. The site does say it takes 7-10 days for it to be able to be tracked online and in my case it has only been 8 days so maybe I am just being a bit impatient. At least both checks cleared, the one to the Postmaster and also the one to Department of State. I guess my passport should arrive soonish based on that, but I guess I will just have to wait and see, right :) On the bright side, I did get my new SSN card in the mail today

Yes I noticed that, so I did register, but I received no emails or anything so far. No status online either, it still says my application cannot be found. The site does say it takes 7-10 days for it to be able to be tracked online and in my case it has only been 8 days so maybe I am just being a bit impatient. At least both checks cleared, the one to the Postmaster and also the one to Department of State. I guess my passport should arrive soonish based on that, but I guess I will just have to wait and see, right :) On the bright side, I did get my new SSN card in the mail today

Yup; I think you should get it some time this week. ravi1985, also from atlanta, got it in a week using normal/non-expedited processing. Makes me wonder if using money order would be faster than spending $60 for expedited processing.

Can you pl. post here if you get an email notification before you get the passport in mail?

Yup; I think you should get it some time this week. ravi1985, also from atlanta, got it in a week using normal/non-expedited processing. Makes me wonder if using money order would be faster than spending $60 for expedited processing.

Can you pl. post here if you get an email notification before you get the passport in mail?
I sure will keep you guys posted, however I did not apply in Atlanta even though my interview and oath were there. We live in Southern Alabama ( thanks US military :rolleyes: ) and I applied locally here, so definitely not in a major metro area

Just an update. I did receive my passport and Natz Certificate today in the mail. So I am done. I just wanted to let you all know for those who asked that my application never showed up online and I also was never notified by email. I just ended up calling their service number to track it.

Just an update. I did receive my passport and Natz Certificate today in the mail. So I am done. I just wanted to let you all know for those who asked that my application never showed up online and I also was never notified by email. I just ended up calling their service number to track it.

That's great Jojo72. Congratulations and thanks for the update ... you are now free to move around the world. :)

The USPS status shows 'item delivered' with the tracking no. provided by the U.S. Passport Application Status website.

I received only the naturalization certificate and not the passport itself. I understand that they could be mailed separately.

The National Passport Information Center could not confirm if the tracking number provided was for the actual passport or just the certificate.

Anyone faced a similar situation ? Thanks.

====

The USPS status shows 'item delivered' with the tracking no. provided by the U.S. Passport Application Status website.

I received only the naturalization certificate and not the passport itself. I understand that they could be mailed separately.

The National Passport Information Center could not confirm if the tracking number provided was for the actual passport or just the certificate.

Anyone faced a similar situation ? Thanks.

====

My wife received her passport and nat. cert in the same envelope last week. The delivery confirmation is somewhat dicey, since they don't hand deliver it but leave it in the mailbox instead. If USPS puts it in the wrong mailbox, it would still say delivered. We have used regular processing and their online status does not show anything for both of us.

When did you apply and did you use regular or expedited service?

Last edited by a moderator: