Applying For New Social Security Card

Jack Archer

Registered Users (C)
Today I accompanied a new asylee friend to a district social security office in a small town. And I thought I should share the experience with everyone in here.

I had no problems obtaining my new unrestricted SS card in Houston office. But it seems that the order containing new regulation has not reached to every social security office, expecially those in remote areas.
I advise all asylees to print this letter out:
http://www.acf.dhhs.gov/programs/orr/ssnasylee.htm

and take it with them when they go to a SS office. Be sure to tell the officer that your new card is not suppose to have "Valid for Employment only with INS authorization message." If the officer seems confused or persistant that asylees can only get restricted SS card , demand to see the supervisor and show the letter to him/her.

My friend applied for his SS card two weeks ago and they sent him the restricted SS card. That is why I had to accompany him to the SS office and resolve this matter.

No Title

You are absolutely right. I know what are you talking about first hand. It seems many federal employees do not read directives sent from Washington DC.

Whenever possible, it is best to get one\'s affairs transacted in a major city.

No Title

I called the Baltimore office of the SSA and here\'s what I found out:

Asylees will fill out the SS-5 form as they would be doing under the normal circumastances. But the Social Security office needs to make this correction before they send out the data to the Baltimore office for card printing:

"How Do I Code the PRA Field on the SS-5?

The entry in the PRA field on the SS-5 is based on the applicant’s answer in item 3, "Citizenship." Enter a "Y" in the PRA field when an asylee checks the block "legal alien allowed to work" in item 3, "Citizenship," on the SS-5 AND the document(s) submitted establishes the person was granted asylum. This ensures that MES will print a card without any legend. "

If the asylee do not tell the Social Security office to make this correction he/she will receive a SS card with employment restriction.