Applying for ITIN number for Vistor Visa holder

bharatpremi

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Can visitor visa holder apply for ITIN number ? If yes then please let me know the involved process. We need to open a bank account for visitor visa holder and bank is asking for ITIN number.

Thanks.

- Bhart Premi

You can apply for ITIN as a non-resident alien if you need to file tax return here in USA. infact anyone with income source in USA (who is not normally defines as residents, and resident for tax purposes include H1 visa holders ) can apply for ITIN if they need to file a tax return... even if it is a tax refund.

If you are overseas then apply at the nearest consulate and if in USA then with the tax return you file form W7 with appropriate documents.

Check out www.irs.gov

brand new motorolakrzr k1 for just $350usd

Company names - TERRY ACE LIMITED
REGISTRATION No. 04302528
ADDRESS:90 COLUMBUS WAY, GRIMSBY, NORTH EAST LINCOLNSHIRE
ZIPCODE:DN33 1RU
CONTACT ADDRESS:terryltd@hotmail.com, terryltd@myway.com
phone number:447011133412, 447024081402

TERRY ACE LIMITED is a leading electronics store in UnitedKinigdom. we sell mobile phone/laptop/digital camera/digital camcorder/plasma tv/games/ipod/computer accessories, direct from the manufactturers with complete accessories,and also with one year international warranty.
TERRY ACE LIMITED is a well recognised company in the United Kingdom with a very good reputation in the field of electronics.

We ship via reliable courier service such as DHL, FEDEX, UPS in which your orders will be delivered to your doorstep within 48hour.

Suunyprince and waitin_toolong,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I want to show my parent as dependent during their temporary stay in USA (6 months and 1 day). Now other person from reputed tax services company advised me that there are 2 ways. 1) Wait and file W-7 with YOUR tax return with notarized copy of parent's passports 2) IRS has authorized some banks to take an application from visitor visa holders to open up savings account and for that in turn bank can apply for ITIN number on behalf of applicant and once ITIN comes to the bank/applicant, bank will open up an account. Now for first step I will have to wait at least till next January and by the time my parent will fly to their home country. So I decided to follow 2nd step but bank is asking me the proof of address for my parent. I said I am ready to write on a paper that they are currently living with me but bank is not ready to accept that as a proof of address. Any idea how to get "Proof of address" for my parent.. It is kind of chicken and Egg situation. And yes since my parent are retired and not permanent resident of USA they do not intend to file tax return every year.

Applying for ITIN

Yes, you can applying ITIN for your visiting parents. I had the experience to apply ITIN numbers for my parents in 2001 and they have those numbers since 2001. All you need is to follow the instruction of the form applying for ITIN (which information I think you can search through IRS website, sorry forgot the exactly form name/number). I think this option 3 is better than both options your lawyer provided since it gives you the total control.

Good luck

LongLostHopeIN the rules have changed since 2001 now applying for ITIn is not easy, as usual it was exploited to death. IRS has gotten tough.
bharatpremi As for your parents being back in India it does not matter as long as you complete all the formalities and get notarized signatures on the form W7 and copies of passport and so forth.

The only requirement is that they must have spent 183 days in 2006 in the USA, to be claimed as dependants. Plus if they plan to file returns in India they cannot be called dependants here.
I tried to do that for my inlaws here but later decided against it as they filed taxes in India and overall the benefit was not gr8.

Second thing was that my accountant who usually deals with Indians advised that one of her clients had to file amended return with panelties when he sponsored his parents for GC. there were some immigration related issues. So keep that in mind as well.

waitin_toolong said:
LongLostHopeIN the rules have changed since 2001 now applying for ITIn is not easy, as usual it was exploited to death. IRS has gotten tough.
bharatpremi As for your parents being back in India it does not matter as long as you complete all the formalities and get notarized signatures on the form W7 and copies of passport and so forth.

The only requirement is that they must have spent 183 days in 2006 in the USA, to be claimed as dependants. Plus if they plan to file returns in India they cannot be called dependants here.
I tried to do that for my inlaws here but later decided against it as they filed taxes in India and overall the benefit was not gr8.

Second thing was that my accountant who usually deals with Indians advised that one of her clients had to file amended return with panelties when he sponsored his parents for GC. there were some immigration related issues. So keep that in mind as well.

Thanks for your response. It looks like I will have to drop the idea as well. Can USPS communication after "Change of address" process be considered as "Proof of Address"? Any idea?

- Bharat Premi