Applying for DL in Massachusetts

bella8188

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I've been having a little trouble finding accurate information and am hoping someone can clarify for me.

I currently hold an Australian drivers license, and am moving to the US at the start of May through the Diversity Lottery, so I will have permanent residency in MA.

From what I can see from the dmv.org website is that for MA, being 18+ with a current out of country license, I just need to go to the RMV with correct identification, and apply for a license.

What I want to work out, is will I need to take a theory or driving test? And what will the fee be? The actual MA RMV website is not very clear on this information.

And can I also take a car that I will be sharing with a Mass. citizen who owns the car? I won't be purchasing my own car for another year.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks so much for that info, much appreciated!

One other quick question, if anyone can help. It says that I need to bring proof of residency of Massachusetts along - if I have only just moved there, any advice on how I can get proof of residency? Or, how I could become a resident of MA?

Also, a letter confirming the employment or an apartment lease agreement should work too.