Applying for Commn Law inside or outside of Canada & Running 2 apps at once?

FMSCB

Hello,

Not sure if anyone has come across this before but would be useful to get some advice.

I am a Canadian living in the UK and would like to move back to Canada with my common-law spouse. We have been together now for 3 years but my partner applied under the Skilled Worker stream from within the UK in January 2005 to move to Canada. We did this because, at the time, I did not have the financial resources to sponsor my partner.

We expected to wait about 23 months for the Skilled Worker application to be processed (i.e. hearing something in December 2006) however, we have found out this week that the High Commission in London don't expect to read our application until October 2007. This is really upsetting as we had expected to be moved by then. They say that due to the high volume of applications recieved between July 2004 and January 2005 this slippage has occured.

So - we are considering our options at the moment. From what I can see we have 2 choices.

1) Apply as Common Law Spouse from the UK - this process - as I understand it means that the application goes through Mississauga and then back here to London for the second phase processing.
2) Move to Canada and apply as Common Law Spouse from within Canada.

Option 1 means we can both keep earning in the UK but are stuck here untill everything is done.

Option 2 means that we move and I am the only one who can work.

I am also wondering if it is possible to keep our original Skilled Worker Application running while we apply for Common Law either from here or from within Canada (should we decide to move) Is this possible or will it make the process longer - is it defrauding the system? There isn't too much information on the CIC website about this.

And as for which option to go for - I want to use the fastest route. I think that means moving to Canada and applying from within. It is definately the higher risk option but seems to take about 8 to 9 months (if that is infact how long it will take or is it a maximum?).

Any advice on:

1) Is it possible to have two applications running at once?
2) If we go for Common Law what do you think will be faster - from the UK or from within Canada?

Many thanks and sorry for the long explaination.

FMSCB