Applying for Citizenship in end of Dec. and have question about SS

sam_ahmed

Registered Users (C)
Hello expert,
Have a question about SS, giving some history came to USA in 1998 on B1 then I was 20 years old, got H1 1999 applied for labor in april 2001 did not work out with the company left, want out of status, applied again labor in 2006 under grandfather rule because of origin country long wait, miss the 2007 July visa boat, since then on work permit until march 2013, found life partner in 2010 she was LPR that time got married 2011 file I-130 and wait, she become USC in 2012, file I-485 as spouse of USC got CGC in march 2013, file i-751 in Dec. 2014 condition remove in august 2014, now ready to file citizenship by end of Dec this year under 3 year rule.
going thru application found about SS question. I was in the USA between age of 18 and 26 should I say yes to question but I am not register with SS I check online. now I am 38 year old. what should I do any advice.

You are 38 years old now. So you got your green card at age probably over 26 years old. You'll be fine

You're supposed to register with Selective Service any time you are in the US as a male between 18 and 26 and not in valid nonimmigrant status. The time you are in H1b status doesn't count. You said you "went out of status"; it's not clear when that was, and whether that was before age 26. Presumably if you were out of status before age 26, then you were supposed to register. I am not sure if there are any situations when out of status would not count (perhaps if you had a pending extension of status application, you could claim to be still nonimmigrant? not sure).

In any case, since you are over age 31, any failure to register (if there was any) will not impact your naturalization application. So you just have to figure out whether you actually had to register or not, and answer truthfully on the form (and provide any needed documentation). If it's unclear, it might be better to error on the side of saying you may have failed to register and providing an explanation.

You're supposed to register with Selective Service any time you are in the US as a male between 18 and 26 and not in valid nonimmigrant status. The time you are in H1b status doesn't count. You said you "went out of status"; it's not clear when that was, and whether that was before age 26. Presumably if you were out of status before age 26, then you were supposed to register. I am not sure if there are any situations when out of status would not count (perhaps if you had a pending extension of status application, you could claim to be still nonimmigrant? not sure).

In any case, since you are over age 31, any failure to register (if there was any) will not impact your naturalization application. So you just have to figure out whether you actually had to register or not, and answer truthfully on the form (and provide any needed documentation). If it's unclear, it might be better to error on the side of saying you may have failed to register and providing an explanation.
Hi how are you?

I had my interview for N400 on this month , the IO gave me n652 At the end of the interview, she congratulate me and checked the box of recommended for approval
However, back in 2013 someone registered me vote by taking my business card, I never signed the application or filled it out, while I was vending in a craft show he came to me and asking me if I could register to vote I told him I'm not a us citizen yet but he still wanted my info so I handed him my business card and left . So one week after I sent the n400 I found out my name is on registration to vote.... I didn't mention any of this to IO. So I don't know if they will find out about this ? I never registered myself to vote... What do u Think please ?

thank for all to reply, yes when I went out to status I was under 26, now my question is that I say yes to question that I was in the STATES at that time, leave blank date of registration and SS#, write a letter say "unintentional fail to register", is there any way to get the format of the letter.
thank you

good news newacct, I call Selective Service today talk about the problem and I found that I was register with them, Like i said before i went out of status in 2001 and I renew my DL in 2003 back then I was register with them, the reason i was not able to get info about, they did not have my Social with them, now I have my SS# and Date of register, all set. lets start the Citizenship journey!!!

Congratulation brother, you all good now.
I just got an oath ceremony letter today mine will be on 1/8/2016 inshallah

Congratulation brother, you all good now.
I just got an oath ceremony letter today mine will be on 1/8/2016 inshallah
thanks, I am away from that step but keep you guys posted, eventually I will get there Insha Allah.

Just Update
N-400 TX
Date mailed:- 12/23/2015
Received Date:- 12/24/2015
Payment Received:- 12/28/2015
NOA Received-: 01/03/2016 PD 12/28/2015
FP Notice Received-: 01/08/2016, FP Date 01/20/2016

Just Update
N-400 TX
Date mailed:- 12/23/2015
Received Date:- 12/24/2015
Payment Received:- 12/28/2015