applying for asylum as an atheist ?

nss2009

Registered Users (C)
hi ,

i am from a middle astern muslin country and currently in the United States on a b1/b2 visa which will be expired in a month from now (i-94), and planning to apply for asylum because of me being atheist/ apostate . and left my country because of threats of family members/relatives.

my question is , how difficult it is to get asylum being an atheist, how do i prove that i only have my statement and country condition reports , has anyone here applying for asylum as an atheist?..do you know anyone who has/

thank you

From what I have read, heard and seen in documentaries, its hard to convince an officer if you have not been persecuted in past by any means. Just because you think you will be persecuted will not help. Since, its not declared in your passport that you are atheist or muslim, how would one know what you follow and believe. And when it comes to save your life from persecution, you could simply say you are muslim to avoid any confrontation. This is something that I understood and referencing after watching the documentary where the AO was interviewing a women(atheist) from Iran who believed she will be persecuted if she goes back.

Thank you for the reply

I faced persecution in the past so its too late at this point to go back and pretend to be muslim I did that for years

Do yoi have a link to the documentry you mentioned or its title

I never faced persecution in the past but there was well founded fear that I would face persecution if I was deported. What I did was I got newspaper articles of people facing persecution.

I never faced persecution in the past but there was well founded fear that I would face persecution if I was deported. What I did was I got newspaper articles of people facing persecution.

so you applied for asylum for being an atheist? my i ask where are you from if you dont mind?... and what did you provide as evidence ?..

so you applied for asylum for being an atheist? my i ask where are you from if you dont mind?... and what did you provide as evidence ?..

My basis was not on the basis of atheism. I am from Bangladesh. My basis was that I was not a very religious person and my views were mostly western.

My basis was not on the basis of atheism. I am from Bangladesh. My basis was that I was not a very religious person and my views were mostly western.

interesting , what did you provide as evidence to prove that ,i think thats even tougher than being an atheist, and if i may ask , where was your interview which asylum office, or immigration court?

interesting , what did you provide as evidence to prove that ,i think thats even tougher than being an atheist, and if i may ask , where was your interview which asylum office, or immigration court?

My case was heard in the NYC Immigration court. I used the Dept of State human rights report, newspaper articles supporting my claims as well as the experiences my relatives were facing back home.