Applying citizenship

winthan

Registered Users (C)
I am thinking about to apply citizenship in this month. I got GC on 07/23/08. I didn't travel outside of states since 2008. And i paid taxes too. Is this good time to apply or when should I apply for?

Thanks, how long does it take to get interview date from USCIS (Texas)? 3 months? Can we do expedite the process in order to get USC real quick?

The interview date will depend on the local USCIS office which will process your case. In general, it takes about 2 to 3 months to get the interview and the overall process takes about 4 to 5 months.

Expedited processing is available only under certain circumstances. I believe military personnel qualifies for this. Other than that, there is no extra fee you can pay to expedite the process.

By the way, did you get your greencard via marrying a US citizen? If yes, you could apply now. Otherwise, you will apply based on 5-year residency after April 24, 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
My family members are military personnel. but not me. :(

I didn't get greencard via marrying a US citizen. I have to apply based on 5-year residency. I can't wait for April 24, 2013 to get USC :)

By the way, did you get your greencard via marrying a US citizen? If yes, you could apply now. Otherwise, you will apply based on 5-year residency after April 24, 2013.
It does not matter if greencard was via marrying US citizen or not. What matters is if applicant is married to US citizen and was married for 3 years.

It does not matter if greencard was via marrying US citizen or not. What matters is if applicant is married to US citizen and was married for 3 years.

Good point. You could have gotten an employment-based or lottery greencard for example and after being married 3 years to a US citizen you could apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a few days past April 24 just in case CIS thinks you applied too early. You don't want to get rejected for something silly like that. May 1 would be a nice date.

Confused

Hello to every one
my parents applied for my green card since 2006, I got approved in 2010, visa fee has been paid, at the time I was living in Canada I apply for a refugee status didn't get through so I came back home to island this year, so far no work as yet, immigration for the states have my address for where I am living, if can't get a job here and I can get it some other island would it jeopardize me from getting my green card and beside my country don't have a us embassy?

Hello to every one
my parents applied for my green card since 2006, I got approved in 2010, visa fee has been paid, at the time I was living in Canada I apply for a refugee status didn't get through so I came back home to island this year, so far no work as yet, immigration for the states have my address for where I am living, if can't get a job here and I can get it some other island would it jeopardize me from getting my green card and beside my country don't have a us embassy?

And I got really confused by your question. Where are you now? You have a greencard? When did you leave the US? Do you have a re-entry permit?

Good point. You could have gotten an employment-based or lottery greencard for example and after being married 3 years to a US citizen you could apply.

Yup, which is what happened to me. Got employment-based GC but then got married to a USC shortly thereafter. I was able to naturalize after three years of marriage and not have to wait out five years.

Speeding ticket

Yup, which is what happened to me. Got employment-based GC but then got married to a USC shortly thereafter. I was able to naturalize after three years of marriage and not have to wait out five years.
I will also apply for citizenship this month and I have little confuse.
I got a speeding ticket 3 years ago, I was fined $150 and have no any document remain with me now.
I want to disclose this issue on my application. If anyone already have same issue with me please advice if I need to disclose it?
Thanks,
inote

You need to disclose that you got fined. So answer "YES" when you are asked on the N-400 form if you were cited.

Since the fine is less than $500, you do not need to send in any documentation. However, the interviewing officer might ask for documentation that you paid for it. Try to get a copy of the receipt from the court/police and take that documentation with you to the interview.