Applying B2 visa for university admission interviews?

sycw

Registered Users (C)
Hi, my friend is applying for admission to different Universities for studying graduate program in Violin. Since some of the universities want him to demonstrate his skills before giving him the letter of admission, he will need to come to the US to do the interviews. Can he apply the B2 visa to enter the US as a tourist and do the interviews? or he must get the B1? If he gets the B1, since he may need to come 2 or 3 times, then he will need to apply the B1 2 or 3 times? It seems a B2 is better and cheaper as it last for 10 years.

Thanks!

Hi, my friend is applying for admission to different Universities for studying graduate program in Violin. Since some of the universities want him to demonstrate his skills before giving him the letter of admission, he will need to come to the US to do the interviews. Can he apply the B2 visa to enter the US as a tourist and do the interviews? or he must get the B1? If he gets the B1, since he may need to come 2 or 3 times, then he will need to apply the B1 2 or 3 times? It seems a B2 is better and cheaper as it last for 10 years.

Thanks!

Yes, this a valid purpose for a B visa. He needs to be forthcoming in his visa application. He might be seen as one who might seek a change of status so may be asked about financial ability to pay tuition and other expenses.

Applicants do not get to choose if they are applying for a B-1 or a B-2 visa. If issued, visa will be a B-1/2 visa. At the port of entry, the admitting officer will decide whether to annotate the I-94 as B-1 or B-2.

Can he apply the B2 visa to enter the US as a tourist and do the interviews? or he must get the B1?

Thanks everyone for the reply.
I just check and see that the application form doesn't specify for B1/B2 so its up to the decision of the consul.

Thanks everyone for the reply.
I just check and see that the application form doesn't specify for B1/B2 so its up to the decision of the consul.

Actually, all B visas are issued as combination B-1/B-2. It is the CBP Officer at the time of entry who decides (or not). Often, no distinction is made unless absolutely required (such as for a B-1 Domestic Servant accompanying an employer who may be admitted for a full year at a time).