Applying 90 days prior to completion of 5-years requirement?

Muddy

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I have read somewhere that we can apply N-400 90-days before the 5-years are completed (Permanent Residency).
Can I apply 90 days prior to my 5-year completion?
If I could apply 90 days prior then what will happen to the application? Will it be just sitting at INS? Will they start processing? (maybe look at sending FP papers :) I hope)
I am curious to know.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Regards

90 days

You may send your application 90 days before you meet the requirements for continuous residence
b provided
you meet all the other eligibility requirements when you file your application with the INS. I believe the INS does start processing the application right away.

90 days

Two pdf documents, viz., "A Guide to Naturalization" and the instructions for "Application for Naturalization," indicate that one may apply 90 days prior to meeting the continuous residence requirement. What is your source for the 3-month figure?

I read in the same document "A guide to naturalization"

What happens to the application, if applied before 90 days has not been mentioned any where.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate any response.

applying prematurely

Why would you do that? There were at least two cases mentioned on one of these forums of people applying prematurely for adjustment of status and being told about a year and a half later that they had to re-file. While a naturalization application may be given a little more consideration, I wouldn\'t depend on it.

Arguing over a week

Per my lawyer, it is 90 days. I applied a little less than 90 days when I filed my application. I am now scheduled for my interview. JOEF is right, they start processing your application immediately. So a day or two later will not hurt you.

No Title

When I hear / read about INS representatives routinely dishing out incorrect information I am often merely amused and occasionally a bit annoyed but I am finding it a little harder to comprehend this apparent disagreement between these two federal documents. Perhaps there is an overarching federal law that states that 1 month and 30 days are synonymous!

Does INS mail me case number for my application?

Thanks all. Done applied N-400

I really appreciate your answers and it surely helped me, more than you could think.

You are correct about a week does not matter, I applied so that it will reach INS 85 days before completion of my 5-year period.