Applying 485 and 8th year H1B extension

samurai

Registered Users (C)
My PD is March 2003 and am in EB2 India. My current 7th year H1B expires in sept 2006. Looks like my PD may be current in the next couple of months and was wondering if there are any advantages my extending my H1B. My lawyer was suggesting there may not be any advantages in doing that. Please advise.

There aren't any advantages in NOT applying for an H1 extension (except maybe saving the application fees). God forbid, but if the progression of priority dates slows down, then you may have to wait longer to file the I-485 application. Even if you're able to file I-485, you'll also need to file an EAD application and that will have to be approved for you to be able to work legally in your job. There isn't any guarantee that your EAD will be approved before your H1 expires. If I were you, I would file the H1 extension.

samurai said:
My PD is March 2003 and am in EB2 India. My current 7th year H1B expires in sept 2006. Looks like my PD may be current in the next couple of months and was wondering if there are any advantages my extending my H1B. My lawyer was suggesting there may not be any advantages in doing that. Please advise.