Applying 4:30am at YVR for 6am flight?

CdnOT

Hi everyone,

I had a brain-slip and forgot that CBP is not 24hours. Silly me booked a 6am flight Sunday morning from YVR to SFO for my TN visa renewal. Assuming I get to airport at 3am and wait outside the CBP office by 4:30am, would I have a good chance to catch my flight? Or should I change my flight to be safe? Has anyone applied for their TN at 4:30 before and was it busy? Thank you so much for all your help!

Sorry for the post. After numerous calls, I reached the CBP at YVR. He answered all my questions. In case it would be helpful for anyone. He said that in case I miss my flight the airline will just put me on the next flight out.

Also, I am applying for a new TN with start date 10 days ahead. He told me that since I am already working in the States and will still have valid TN for the next 10 days, it's not a problem. BUT, if it's my first time applying and I'm moving from Canada, it will be too early. I am surprised that they aren't implementing the 10 days grace period that came into effect in 2017 for all applicants. Just FYI.

YVR is pretty strict, compare to other PFIs and POEs.
Remember that anytime there is a flight to US, the airport PFI MUST be manned of course, so they are up and ready for a 6am flight just as for 1pm. You don't wait "outside the office" you proceed thru clearance just like all other US bound passengers, and they process you when you get to a wicket.

Sorry for the post. After numerous calls, I reached the CBP at YVR. He answered all my questions. In case it would be helpful for anyone. He said that in case I miss my flight the airline will just put me on the next flight out.

Also, I am applying for a new TN with start date 10 days ahead. He told me that since I am already working in the States and will still have valid TN for the next 10 days, it's not a problem. BUT, if it's my first time applying and I'm moving from Canada, it will be too early. I am surprised that they aren't implementing the 10 days grace period that came into effect in 2017 for all applicants. Just FYI.

I am very curious to know how this ended up for you. I also booked a very early flight (7 am) and was planning on getting to the CBP office by 4:30 am to apply for the TN visa. How did it go? Was it busy?

As was mentioned, you don't get to go to an "office" right away. You go through the admissions line like everyone else, and if you will ether be processed right in line, or then be sent to secondary for final processing. So, you want to be first in line that morning, but it will be at clearance, not at their office.