Apply from Canada side of POE During COVID-19

wpower

Hi folks, I have a couple questions on the current status of TN status application. If you anybody can help that would be much appreciated!

I currently live in Canada. Just got a job offer from the US. With the COVID-19 border closure for non-essential travels, I am wondering if we can still simply go to POE from Canada side and get TN status there (e.g. preclearance area in Canada)?

I did some research in this forum and saw a few folks were able to get it at POE, but seems all of them are already living in the US. Just wondering if the story might be different on Canada side.

Also it would be much appreciated if anybody have any additional advice under the current situation. As I would have already quit my current job by the time I go to POE, I hope to better understand the risk of Visa denial and minimize the risk if possible.

Thanks!

Same story. NEVER quit your job until you secure the TN.

Thank you Nelson for the very quick response! Glad to hear people from Canada side can still get TN from POE.

Regarding not quitting current job, I found it challenging regarding timing but would love to hear your thoughts. From research, I understand we can not apply for TN too early, typically should apply within 1 week before the starting date of the new job. Also I heard we can not get TN unless we are planning to enter the US for good (not returning to Canada right away the same day).

However, my current job requires 6 weeks advanced notice when resign. So at the time I go to POE 1 week before new job starting, I would have already submitted my resignation notice 5 weeks before that.

Was my research incorrect, so we can apply TN say a couple of months before starting date of new job?

Thanks for any additional help from the forum!

In 2017 I applied for my TN before I left Canada. I applied at the US Consulate in Calgary in early July 2017 and traveled to the US in mid-August. I gave my Canadian employer 2 weeks notice. But this route ensured I had my TN visa already in my passport before I left Canada. This was almost 3 years ago so I'm not sure if this option is still available for you.

US Consulates are closed due to COVID19
Unfortunately the nature of TN status does not allow for easy switching jobs and giving notice to former employer.
You cannot obtain TN status at airport pre-clearence unless you have onward airfare and intend to take the flight.
Recommend you do not give notice to current employer.
Obtain TN support letter from new employer without a start date, saying employment will begin after obtaining TN status. Drive to closest POE and request TN status and drive back home, if TN successful, give notice to current employer (although six weeks is rather excessive).

In 2017 I applied for my TN before I left Canada. I applied at the US Consulate in Calgary in early July 2017 and traveled to the US in mid-August. I gave my Canadian employer 2 weeks notice. But this route ensured I had my TN visa already in my passport before I left Canada. This was almost 3 years ago so I'm not sure if this option is still available for you.
Thanks for the suggestion. Although seems as Amberleaf suggested seems it's not working during this special time. Thanks the same!

US Consulates are closed due to COVID19
Unfortunately the nature of TN status does not allow for easy switching jobs and giving notice to former employer.
You cannot obtain TN status at airport pre-clearence unless you have onward airfare and intend to take the flight.
Recommend you do not give notice to current employer.
Obtain TN support letter from new employer without a start date, saying employment will begin after obtaining TN status. Drive to closest POE and request TN status and drive back home, if TN successful, give notice to current employer (although six weeks is rather excessive).
Thank you for the advice. T
I will see if the new employer is willing to issue a letter without starting date. Just also want to check if folks here know there two rules I hear are true: 1. Is it true the POE will not issue TN status until it's only one week before starting date? 2, is it true that POE will ask you to apply later if you plan to just enter US and come back right away (same day or in a couple days)?

I live on East coast and new job is in West coast, so if I just drive to boarder they would know I am not entering for good that day...

Thanks for the advices again.

1. Many people have reported on this forum that the CBP officer will only issue a TN one week or so before the start date on letter. Some have reported two weeks in advance. Not aware of any hard rules documented anywhere
2. No, many people have reported on this forum obtaining TN status and returning to Canada the same day and then travelled to US on TN status a few days or a week latter. I did this with my family in 2015. I drove from Greater Toronto Area to Queenston/Lewiston bridge POE and requested TN status for myself and TD status for my spouse and child. I had TN support letter for a job in Southern California. No issues. I was asked about my education, about my role, about my company, finger printed, photographed and about 20 min latter issued TN status and I-94. We returned to Canada the same day and then a few days later flew out of YYZ Toronto Pearson for LAX Los Angeles to start my new job.

You can aaply a couple of weeks before starting work. Besides, notice on your art is nota legal requirement. There are soo many things that can go awry in a TN application that you would never count on it.

Thank you so much Amberleaf and Nelsona. Really appreciate the information. That helped a lot! It's good to know that we can still drive to POE to apply for TN and return to Canada same day. However, if we can only apply TN 1-2 week before starting date, that means I have to give employer formal notice only 1 week in advance. I don't want to burn the bridge so seems the options are:

1. As you advised, getting a employment letter that doesn't state starting date. Has this been a common practice and would officers accept it? Would officers still ask me the specific starting dates?
2. If option 1 doesn't work, for example if the new employer refuses to leave out starting date, another option is after getting TN status, perhaps I can try to negotiate a later starting date.

Just wondering if there is any issue with either of the options above?

BTW has there been practices where you can be employed by both employers for 1-2 weeks? I was thinking possibly use my vacations with current employer in these overlapped 1-2 weeks to meet the advanced notice requirement with current employer... Not perfect but might look better on paper...

1. This is acceptable. In all cases, the POE merely issues you a TN with an expiry date of 3 yrs less one day from the dayyou cross, so a specific starting date really doesn't matter.
2. A starting date on the letter does not kill your attempt. At worst, they will tell you to come back closer to the date.

Again, do not give notice until you get TN, and notice is not required. You need to choose who you now want to please: your new sponsor, which you are now forging a relationship that will hopefully last years, or your old company, which you are parting with.. And you are not legally obliged to actually start on the date in the letter (another reason not to have it) and you can negotiate this with your new boss.

Perfect. Thanks a lot Nelsona.

Yeah I was a bit more cautious toward my current employer because in my profession, if one day I choose to (or have to) come back to Canada, there's a good chance the best choice is current employer. Anyway, the information I learned from this forum is very helpful. Thanks for all responses and patience. Really learned a lot!

Changing jobs is very stressful.
Changing jobs to a new city many miles/kilometers away is even more stressful (cancel lease/sign new lease, sell home/buy home, etc, move away from family, child change schools, need supportive spouse, etc).
Changing jobs to a new city in a new country is more stressful. (new drivers license, import car or sell/buy new car, new tax rules, need to establish new credit rating, strict immigration rules, spouse cannot work, etc).
Changing jobs during a worldwide pandemic, is likely the most stressful. (quarantine rules, uncertainty of short term, medium term and long term future)

I know when I was on TN status from late 2015 to early 2018 everytime Trump was not getting his way on NAFTA, he would threaten to cancel NAFTA (and likely TN status?) it put a lump in my throat, and I could not make any future plans. It is hard to describe unless you were in that situation. Rationally you knew he cannot change NAFTA alone, he must go through congress to change the trade agreement (very difficult), but still you felt unease. You need a thick skin, positive attitude, and optimistic outlook.

Many people have changed jobs from Canada to US on TN status. This forum is full of peoples experiences. Read and learn.
Please post your experience so other can learn from your experience.

Perfect. Thanks a lot Nelsona.

Yeah I was a bit more cautious toward my current employer because in my profession, if one day I choose to (or have to) come back to Canada, there's a good chance the best choice is current employer. Anyway, the information I learned from this forum is very helpful. Thanks for all responses and patience. Really learned a lot!

@wpower I am in the same situation. I went to the Rainbow Bridge on March 21th, the first day into the border closure, but was turnned away. Now it seems work is clearly regarded as essential.

I am too feeling helpless in this situation. I reached Canada with my PR on 21st January 2020, thought after reaching i will sponsor my family members including my child and my wife in Canada. But situations are not allowing me to do so. What to do??

Changing jobs is very stressful.
Changing jobs to a new city many miles/kilometers away is even more stressful (cancel lease/sign new lease, sell home/buy home, etc, move away from family, child change schools, need supportive spouse, etc).
Changing jobs to a new city in a new country is more stressful. (new drivers license, import car or sell/buy new car, new tax rules, need to establish new credit rating, strict immigration rules, spouse cannot work, etc).
Changing jobs during a worldwide pandemic, is likely the most stressful. (quarantine rules, uncertainty of short term, medium term and long term future)

I know when I was on TN status from late 2015 to early 2018 everytime Trump was not getting his way on NAFTA, he would threaten to cancel NAFTA (and likely TN status?) it put a lump in my throat, and I could not make any future plans. It is hard to describe unless you were in that situation. Rationally you knew he cannot change NAFTA alone, he must go through congress to change the trade agreement (very difficult), but still you felt unease. You need a thick skin, positive attitude, and optimistic outlook.

Many people have changed jobs from Canada to US on TN status. This forum is full of peoples experiences. Read and learn.
Please post your experience so other can learn from your experience.
Thank you Amberleaf very much for all the replies and sharing the experience. Yeah there are a lot of great information in this forum, very helpful. Still waiting for my employment letter. Would be glad to help when able to.

@wpower I am in the same situation. I went to the Rainbow Bridge on March 21th, the first day into the border closure, but was turnned away. Now it seems work is clearly regarded as essential.
My friend recently came back from Rainbow bridge POE and confirmed the officers are processing TN applications.

I called Alexandria Bay POE today since I live in Ottawa and they said that they are not issuing TN, maybe it really depends on the POE.