Apply for US passport and N-600 for kid at the same time? Why file N-600?

ludhianvi

Registered Users (C)
Hi All:

I successfully passed my interview today and have my oath on 17th. Now, I need to get ready for the next step, i.e., apply for US passports (self, wife, and kid) and may be (??) apply for N-600 for the kid. I have a couple of questions for these, I am sure experts here will have answers for these :)

1. Can I apply for both US passport and N-600 (for my kid) at the same time? I know that for US passport one needs to send in the original citizenship certificate. What I am confused is, if one needs to send the original or copy of the citizenship certificate for N-600. Instructions for N-600 mention Proof of U.S. Citizenship, while specifically mentioning Copy of Permanent Resident Card. This is why I am confused about Proof of US citizenship part, whether they want copy or original?

2. Since the kid will get a US passport with parents citizenship, why even spend money on N-600? I can afford the fee, but just curious.

I am not sure if this is the right forum, should it be in this forum or Life after citizenship? Mods please feel free to move.

Thanks.

-L

Last edited by a moderator:
For N-600 only copies are required with the application. But they may ask to see the originals at the end of the process.

Why get the N-600?
1. N-600 doesn't expire, but the passport expires every 10 years (5 years for children under a certain age).

2. If your child's passport is lost or stolen, your citizenship documents may be required for replacing your child's passport if there is no citizenship certificate (N-600 or CRBA etc.) in the child's own name. That's not a problem right now while you're still living with your child and taking care of your own naturalization certificates, but could be a problem when your child is 30 or 40.

3. The passport doesn't say when US citizenship was granted (except that it obviously was granted on or before the passport issue date), but the N-600 does. Another poster who had a US passport but not N-600 was having problems with this because in order to maintain dual citizenship with the original country, it was necessary under that country's laws to submit proof that the US citizenship was acquired before a certain date or age, and they wouldn't accept the parents' naturalization certificates as proof and insisted on seeing the poster's own citizenship certificate.

4. Other unknown circumstances in the future where the N-600 might become necessary or useful.

If you don't personally think the N-600 is worth it, at least tell your children about it when they're about to turn 18, so they're aware of it and can decide to get it on their own as young adults, instead of having them running into a situation at age 35 when they suddenly need it and don't have it and it's too hard to get it because your naturalization documents can't be located.

Last edited by a moderator:
What requirements should I include in the passport application? I am also confused. My children have been taken care of us from birth, citizen mother, citizen grandparents, citizen great-grandparents, older brother and a few days ago, N-600 approved pending the date for the oath.

What requirements should I include in the passport application? I am also confused. My children have been taken care of us from birth, citizen mother, citizen grandparents, citizen great-grandparents, older brother and a few days ago, N-600 approved pending the date for the oath.
The passport application form on second page has instructions for what to include for applicants born outside the US. it should be pretty much the same as what you needed for the N600, or, you can wait for the N600 and just use that.
https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds11.pdf