APPLY FOR GREEN CARD HAVING J1 VISA

I am green card holder .Can I apply for my son who is legally( J1 visa) at the US and unmarried and above 21 and what form to file. How long does it take to get his green card.
Thanks

Yes, you can file an I-130 for him at any time. Unmarried over-21 child of permanent resident is in the F2B category, which has about a 6.5-year wait for visa numbers in the latest visa bulletin. Whether he's in the US and what status he has right now doesn't really matter. What matters is whether he's in the US and in status at the time a visa number becomes available, years later. If he's in the US and in status at that time, and doesn't have the 2-year home residency requirement, he can do Adjustment of Status in the US; otherwise, he would do Consular Processing abroad?

Does his J1 have a 2-year home residency requirement? If so, he would need to satisfy (by being present in home country for 2 years cumulatively after J1) or waive the requirement before he can immigrate.

Last edited:
In the form I-130, I should put my address. Now I( the petitioner) am not in the US. So should I put my address at US or the address where I am currently now. Also it says that they will contact me in few weeks after the petition is approved for the biometrics , so can I do this while I am not in the US, I mean in a US embassy where I am now.
Thanks

Last edited:
You put the address where you reside (i.e. vacations don't count). If you are a green card holder, you should be residing in the US.