Apply for citizenship while waiting for GC removal of conditions?

PRa0

My spouse got her conditional green card based on marriage. We have applied to remove the conditions of her green card.

It appears that the processing of the I751 will take time, it's already more than a year and we just got a notice in response to the I751 extending the validity of her GC by 4 years. She completed 3 years of residency this January.

I understand that spousal GCs' are eligible to apply for citizenship after 3 years of residency.

Can we petition for US naturalization (N-400) based on completing 3 years of residency? Or do we have to wait until the removal of conditions has been approved?

We may be traveling in the future and out of the country for more than 6 months and would like to complete the naturalization process before traveling.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yes, she can file N-400 while her I-751 is pending.
Do I file the N-400 with a copy of the I751 receipt notice? Would the two be merged for adjudication and processing? One note: We filed the I751 late, past the expiry date of the GC along with reasons for the delay. The lawyer we consulted said that if they reject the reasons, they will reject the I751 for late filing, if they accept it for processing and send us a receipt notice extending validity, then we are good (unless we are unable to prove at the interview that ours was a legitimate marriage).