apply for citizenship and then go abroad for work on company transfer - does that work?

im666

hi

i have had a green card for over 9 years now and eligible for citizenship. i never got around to applying for it as i was travelling quite a bit over the last 4 years.

i have been offered a position overseas with my company. i am wondering if i should apply for my citizenship before i go abroad. does anyone know if this would work? i will be keepin my house and all my bank, credit card, mortgage, brokerage accounts, etc in the US while working abroad.

my intention is to fully come back to the US and continue here.

thanks in advance

hi

i have had a green card for over 9 years now and eligible for citizenship. i never got around to applying for it as i was travelling quite a bit over the last 4 years.

i have been offered a position overseas with my company. i am wondering if i should apply for my citizenship before i go abroad. does anyone know if this would work? i will be keepin my house and all my bank, credit card, mortgage, brokerage accounts, etc in the US while working abroad.

my intention is to fully come back to the US and continue here.

thanks in advance

It will work. If your company can file N-470 then it would be better.
First you must ensure that physical presence in last five year is met at the time of application. Your going abroad should not hamper physical presence in last 5 years from interview date too. Nowadays interview is scheduled between 3-5 months from date of application .

You must file application while in US. Should be able to return for FP and interview. Do not give any change of address. Please arrange someone to take care of your mail. It would be better to finish your FP and then leave the country. FP is scheduled 5-7 weeks from application. You can return for interview. All the best.

I have a similar question.
After I sent in my N-400 for naturalization, do I still need to ensure that I am not leaving US more than 6 months continuously?
Or, as long as I do my FP and come back for interview, I am OK?
Do they still keep track your traveling schedule after I file the N-400?

I have a similar question.

Nope, CBP doesn't keep track of your travels, you are supposed to keep track of such a personal endeavor. You can tell USCIS that you have been in the US all these time while you were abroad making money, I am sure they will believe your honesty on such an important matter...lol!!!

Let me be clear and cut the calf, spare the bull.... you are required to meet US citizenship requirements (all) before US citizenship can be granted. If you plan to live abroad and come back every few months in an attempt to retain residency, but actually don't live in the US, you and USCIS are headed for a fight. You will have a higher burden of proof from USCIS perspective, to demonstrate that you were living in the US or you didn't break your ties to the US. Ties usually means, home or rental property in the US, utilities, and anything. Search on this forum, N400 denials or use any search terms to dig up recent cases of people who were denied US citizenship. The common traits has been their travel patters and failure to proof ties to the US.

i have been offered a position overseas with my company. i am wondering if i should apply for my citizenship before i go abroad. does anyone know if this would work?

If you don't get an N-470, I don't see a good chance of success if you are working abroad during the naturalization process. Not impossible, just not a great chance either.

You are required to continue to maintain continuous residence all the way until the oath. They still continue to track your travels during the process, and you are also expected to provide an updated list of your trips at the interview and on oath day.