Apply for Canadian Passport from US (Canadian Citizenship holder)

immi_guy

Registered Users (C)
Hi All:

I am here on H1 (Indian Citizen). My wife came with me to US on H4. She was a canadian resident at the time of marriage. She got her canadian citizenship while we were in US. Now she is a canadian citizen, living with me in US. (as a H4).
Can we apply for her Canadian passport staying within US (I read the passport site and you can apply from outside canada), without any major issues? I think we need to mail her application and the citizen card in original.

My doubts are is it ok to do it via post? Is it ok to send in her original Citizenship Card while she is in US. What if she needs to go to Canada after we have sent the card. How would she be able to get into Canada?

Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

immi guy.

I renewed (not 1st time passport) my Canadian passport in Sep 2005 while in Illinois via mail. I had to send in my old passport, original Citizenship Card and other documents to Ottawa. I had my passport in 20 business days.

Can we apply for her Canadian passport staying within US (I read the passport site and you can apply from outside canada), without any major issues? I think we need to mail her application and the citizen card in original.

-- Yes, you can apply for it while in the US

My doubts are is it ok to do it via post?

-- YES

Is it ok to send in her original Citizenship Card while she is in US.

-- You HAVE TO send her original citizenship card to get the new passport.

What if she needs to go to Canada after we have sent the card. How would she be able to get into Canada?

-- She cannot. She will have to wait for the passport.

Thanks triple_Citizen & bigboy00.

She cannot. She will have to wait for the passport.

Yeah we are aware of that, but what if the application process itself needs her to be present in Canada for some reason? Is there a possibility for such an event? thats the only reason I am not taking this course, and she cannot go to Canada at the moment to get this donw (she is in full time school).

I appreciate your answers :)

Yeah we are aware of that, but what if the application process itself needs her to be present in Canada for some reason? Is there a possibility for such an event?

-- If you use the passport form "Passport application for the persons residing in the USA", you will not have to be present in Canada. This is because they know that you are not in Canada and that's why there is a separate form for those people.

I have used this form before and there was no problem in getting the passport. FYI: There is a lot of rush these days to get a passport (as per the cbc news) because of the new US law regarding the passport requirement.