Applied for US Citizenship Now Moving back to India

statusquery

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

We (wife and myself) applied for US Citizenship and waiting for FP. Now I got an opportunity to move back to India. I'm planning on doing the following.

1. Wait for FP and get the FP done
2. Go to India with family
3. Once the Interview Notice comes come back and get the Interview and Oath
4. Apply for US Passport with expedited I will get it in 15 days or may be less.
5. Apply for OCI as It takes 4-5 months, Get Indian Visa and go back to India.
6. Once OCI comes my friends can mail me that...

Is there any risk in the above ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good plan, if you want to be denied.

That kind of travel pattern during the naturalization process is a strong indicator of somebody who has relocated abroad for good and is only returning to the US to complete the citizenship formalities because it's their last chance.

Hi,

We (wife and myself) applied for US Citizenship and waiting for FP. Now I got an opportunity to move back to India. I'm planning on doing the following.

1. Wait for FP and get the FP done
2. Go to India with family
3. Once the Interview Notice comes come back and get the Interview and Oath
4. Apply for US Passport with expedited I will get it in 15 days or may be less.
5. Apply for OCI as It takes 4-5 months, Get Indian Visa and go back to India.

Is there any risk in the above ?
Why bother doing the OCI in the US then? They do it in India too, you know. It'll be faster if you apply in India.

Your friends can not mail you OCI. You need to send passports to get it stamped from the same consulate you filed it in. You can as well apply from India as speakA suggested.
And as Jack said you have good chance of being denied (or at least scrutinized) with your proposed travel plan.

That is a good plan, if you want to be denied.

That kind of travel pattern during the naturalization process is a strong indicator of somebody who has relocated abroad for good and is only returning to the US to complete the citizenship formalities because it's their last chance.
Your friends can not mail you OCI. You need to send passports to get it stamped from the same consulate you filed it in. You can as well apply from India as speakA suggested.
And as Jack said you have good chance of being denied (or at least scrutinized) with your proposed travel plan.

wow.. that's scary and thanks for your valuable inputs.. are there any other options ? It's an opportunity I cannot miss the same way I cannot jeopardize my Citizneship. I'm keeping my house and everything else in US as-is till I get my citizenship.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow.. that's scary and thanks for your valuable inputs.. are there any other options ? It's an opportunity I cannot miss the same way I cannot jeopardize my Citizneship. I'm keeping my house and everything else in US as-is till I get my citizenship.

#1. I presume you will take an Indian visa and go (when you get your US PP). Note that you will require an employment visa to work in India as a USC. On an employment visa, do note that you can not change employers unless you leave India and re-apply under the new employer. Not sure if it is applicable, and once you get OCI, no one might check, but be aware in case your plans have not considered these.
#2. The denial ... is only a risk. It may or may not come under scrutiny. The options available are a) to delay travel as much as possible, and b) if questioned show paperwork to show your ties to US and intent to remain here ... it will be hard with an employment abroad which is a NO NO on a green card. If it was a temporary assignment abroad by the same employer, it might work with some declaration from the employer.

#1. I presume you will take an Indian visa and go (when you get your US PP). Note that you will require an employment visa to work in India as a USC. On an employment visa, do note that you can not change employers unless you leave India and re-apply under the new employer. Not sure if it is applicable, and once you get OCI, no one might check, but be aware in case your plans have not considered these.

#2. The denial ... is only a risk. It may or may not come under scrutiny. The options available are a) to delay travel as much as possible, and b) if questioned show paperwork to show your ties to US and intent to remain here ... it will be hard with an employment abroad which is a NO NO on a green card. If it was a temporary assignment abroad by the same employer, it might work with some declaration from the employer.

# 1 PIO Card will help ? Can I work in India with PIO Card ?

#2 I think I will try to delay travel till I get my US PP.

#1. You can work with a PIO card. That does come quicker than OCI but takes longer than visa.
#2. At least try to delay till interview. Also, you can get US PP in 1-3 days by going to a passport agency in case that saves time. I was in a similar (though not exact) situation and did the oath through Indian visa in 4 biz days (before the surrender certificate process) whereas regular process can push you to 3-4 weeks.

#1. You can work with a PIO card. That does come quicker than OCI but takes longer than visa.
#2. At least try to delay till interview. Also, you can get US PP in 1-3 days by going to a passport agency in case that saves time. I was in a similar (though not exact) situation and did the oath through Indian visa in 4 biz days (before the surrender certificate process) whereas regular process can push you to 3-4 weeks.

Indian Visa for employment we have to specify the employer etc., where as PIO we do not have to specify anything right ?
I did not quite understand the part of "through Indian visa in 4 biz days" please elaborate.

Employment visa does require an employer. It also requires a bunch of documents from the employer ... they are not heavy duty documents like required for GC, but still need time to procure.

I said "oath through visa" ... it was like this
Day 1 - oath
Day 2 - PP submission
Day 3 - Receive passport, submit for visa
Day 4 - Get visa
With the surrender certificate process, it will take longer.

Employment visa does require an employer. It also requires a bunch of documents from the employer ... they are not heavy duty documents like required for GC, but still need time to procure.

I said "oath through visa" ... it was like this
Day 1 - oath
Day 2 - PP submission
Day 3 - Receive passport, submit for visa
Day 4 - Get visa
With the surrender certificate process, it will take longer.

PP Submission : I read when applying in person you have to show that you are travelling internation ? did you submit tickets or something.
Visa : What kind of visa yu submitted for ? employment if so can you tell me what documents you submitted.

PP - I had the tickets (airline generated itinerary), but it was weird they never asked for it. I might be an exception from what I read.
Visa - I took an entry visa, as I took a break from work until I got OCI from India. When in India, I went to MHA to expedite it with some bakhsish, but even then it took 2 months. It was not an issue for me