Application for PR - few questions

Red October

Hello all! I am on an H1 visa. While I am waiting for my GC in the US, my wife and I are also in the process of applying for Canadian PR. I have a few questions that I hope some of the more experienced people here could answer. I am planning to apply at the Buffalo Office.

Question 1: Educational Requirements -
I have an engg. degree from India as well as a MS from the US. Is my MS transcript from the university in the US enough to prove my highest level of education. Or, am I required to seek my BS transcripts from the university in India too. I hope that the transcript from here is enough since I have absolutely no means of getting the transcript from India.

Question 2: Proof of Language Proficiency -
I haven't taken the IELTS test. My medium of education has been English all through and I have been in the US for the last 9 years. Several years ago I had taken GRE and TOEFL and the scores were pretty good. So, although my native language is not English, I feel that I can claim proficiency (by submitting a detailed explanation). What do the experts feel?
If I do apply without taking the test and the application reviewing officer decides that I need to take a test, would my application be thrown out or would I be required to just take the IELTS test and send in the results to be tacked on to the application?

Questions 3: Police Clearance -
I read in some other thread that Buffalo office does not require FBI police clearance certificates at the time of application and that they would ask for them at a later stage. Does that mean we don't need the police clearance from India too at the time of application?

Thanks,
Red October

Question 1: Educational Requirements -
I have an engg. degree from India as well as a MS from the US. Is my MS transcript from the university in the US enough to prove my highest level of education. Or, am I required to seek my BS transcripts from the university in India too. I hope that the transcript from here is enough since I have absolutely no means of getting the transcript from India.

Answer: if you can get them a photocopy of both your bachelors & masters degree certificates and a consolidated transcripts, they should be good enough. you dont have to get anything new from your indian or US univ. i am sure you must be having your final transcript and degree certificates. just provide copies of them and have the originals to be produced if asked for. i did the same and got my landing papers.

Question 2: Proof of Language Proficiency -
I haven't taken the IELTS test. My medium of education has been English all through and I have been in the US for the last 9 years. Several years ago I had taken GRE and TOEFL and the scores were pretty good. So, although my native language is not English, I feel that I can claim proficiency (by submitting a detailed explanation). What do the experts feel?
If I do apply without taking the test and the application reviewing officer decides that I need to take a test, would my application be thrown out or would I be required to just take the IELTS test and send in the results to be tacked on to the application?

Answer: along with your explanation, provide copies of your GRE & TOEFL scrore cards and see what CIC have to say for that. if they still insist for an IELTS test score, you can take it at a later point. you may waste about 2/3 months time but will not loose your whole application. at any point, if CIC feels that they need more information, they would ask you for it within a stipulated timeframe.

Questions 3: Police Clearance -
I read in some other thread that Buffalo office does not require FBI police clearance certificates at the time of application and that they would ask for them at a later stage. Does that mean we don't need the police clearance from India too at the time of application?

Answer: you dont need to get police certificate from india at any stage. CIC will get it themselves. read through the instructions for police verification. they have specifically mentioned that if you are from india, CIC will get the police verification themselves and not the applicant.

hope the above info helps you, good luck.

Hi cnatar02, thanks for the response. I have a couple of follow up questions and one new question.

I have both the original degree certificates with me and also the official MS transcript from the US. However, I don't have a consolidated transcript for India's BS degree. In fact, all I have (here in the US) are the last 2 years' marksheets. Due to lack of foresight, I never thought that I would need them. Do you think just the copy of the BS degree would be enough?

Regarding police clearance from India, I seem to have completely missed the part where they say that it's not required to be submitted and that CIC would initiate on it's own. If you don't mind, could you please post the link for those instructions.

Here's the new question...
Question 4: Non-Accompanying Family Menber
We have a 1 year old daughter who is a US citizen. We do not intend to include her in our application. She will continue to live in the US with my wife's sister until she gets to school age. From the instructions, it seems that we just need to give a notarized declaration stating that we would be proceeding without her. I have 2 questions - first, how would the CIC react to this? Secondly, once we are ready to sponsor her after a few years, would we run into any issues?

Thanks,
Red October

i think the degree certificate should be fine. try sending them that and in the meantime, try to get the consolidated marksheet, if its not too much of a hassle. you may have to spend some money on getting old records at your indian univ. the only reason i am asking you to pursue on trying to get your baschelors transcript is if CIC wanted it at a later time, you can save some valuble time on getting that.

regarding police certificates, i used the old application packet and it was on one of the pdf files. i dont have the link anymore. go through the complete application packet and instructions for obtaining police certificates. there should be an addendum for indian citizens. if not, post the question as a separate thread and i am sure new apllicants can give you pointers on the link.

regarding yiour new question:

i would suggest you to include her in your application. she is 1 yr old now. the application process takes about 1+ yr nowadays if applied from US. with the new rule, your daughter can stay outside canada for 3 yrs out of any given 5 yr period. so you should be fine with including her in your application. i am not sure of how CIC will react if you omit her and apply for her later. she can complete the landing process with you folks and then go back to US or to your wife's sister. for more clarifications, please post your questions back here. either myself, if i can or other folks will try to answer your questions/concerns. good luck

Conflict

Hi Red October,

If your green card is under process and you are applying for Canadian Immigration. What if you get the canadian immigration before you get your green card. Will that cause problems with your green card process ?

If your green card is under process and you are applying for Canadian Immigration. What if you get the Canadian immigration before you get your green card. Will that cause problems with your green card process?
---------- US is not interested in your Canada PR, you get Canadian PR before or after the GC it does not matter but you should maintain US Residency requirement of US GC

A QUESTION ON POLICE CLEARANCE:

As you guys pointed out, the PR application doesn't require a police clearance from India. But is the FBI clearance needed?
If so , how do we get the FBI clearance - whats the process and how long does it take.
Can any one shed light on this ?

Thanks,

As you guys pointed out, the PR application doesn't require a police clearance from India. But is the FBI clearance needed?
---- YES
If so , how do we get the FBI clearance - what’s the process and how long does it take.
You have to get fingerprinted on FBI fingerprinting cards, you can get there Fbi finger print card in local police station nearest to you or from private fingerprinting agencies in your area, you can also send a letter to FBI (I forget the address it is in West Virginia Clarksburg) and request for FBI finger printing cards then you have to get fingerprinted by local pole station or from private fingerprinting agency once you send FBI finger printing cards to FBI with fees (18$ per person as fee, I don’t know if it is changed) you have to send the FBI fingerprinted card with fee to FBI they will return the FBI card in 3-4 weeks to you stamped as” No record” and send these FBI cards to Canada immigration post where is your file pending or with the application forms ( you can also send later when you get your file #)
**Don’t apply for Canada immigration and waste your fees and time if you are looking for IT job in Canada. Canada has only Labor jobs.

Seems like nowadays you need to get Police clearance from India as well. Pl look at the thread "Police certification verifying absence of criminal conviction".