AP: secondary inspection

goodsaint

Registered Users (C)
went into secondary inspection room, gave the officer my passport, I-94 form duly filled, custom form and both the APs. This was the first time I was using AP. Room was crowded. Officer asked me to wait for 10 minute. He called my name after 10 minute, gave back everything, stamped AP and I-94 and wished me...

No interview, no question, no demand for any document...

This was at the airport immigration i believe. correct.

Did they make photocopies of your AP?

Originally posted by goodsaint
went into secondary inspection room, gave the officer my passport, I-94 form duly filled, custom form and both the APs. This was the first time I was using AP. Room was crowded. Officer asked me to wait for 10 minute. He called my name after 10 minute, gave back everything, stamped AP and I-94 and wished me...

No interview, no question, no demand for any document...

mygcwaiter100

I had to use my AP recently also. Yeah, they make a copy of your AP. Usually there is no problem. The worst part was a total jerk was showing me attitude. He is an IO at the desk. I wanted to show him a finger and catch a flight back to my country. Unfortunately, I have responsibilities here. Can't bear the thought of being insulted by a low life.

-fb-

goodsaint

I seriously need to know.

goodsaint,

Could you tell which city? I am planning a trip and I want to choose an airport with the least possible hassle for AP to come back.

Last year I traveled on AP about 4-5 times.

almost all airports do secondary inspection except LAX (May be they do it now) I know SFO, ORD EWR do it.

its the same at all airports too.. they dont ask u any Questions, just stamp it and give it back... in SFO once he asked me what field I'm working in... and whats the name of my company thats it....

-junior

Re: goodsaint

right, and the security and immigration checks are more of less same at all the airports.

When the alert is elevated then there are more checking i believe. but dont bet on anything. Its just the question of right day with right person...

oppps almost got into philosphy there..damn!

Originally posted by bekleha
I seriously need to know.

goodsaint,

Could you tell which city? I am planning a trip and I want to choose an airport with the least possible hassle for AP to come back.

Originally posted by junior
stamp on I-94 will be
INDEF = Indefinite

No, not anymore. About 1.5 years ago they have stopped stamping AP I-94's with "indefinite" duration. Now they issue them valid for one year from the moment of AP activation (first entry, that is). So far, the reason why they are doing it, is unknown. Practically there is no way to extend the said I-94 beyond the marked date and yet they say "expiration may not yield unlawful presence"...

Last time I traveled was sept 10th 2002.. I have a I-94 with INDEF on it.

like someone said... I guess they change the stuff depending on the existing situation at the time.. threat levels etc...

I-94 was stamped a year from entry.

AP - secondary inspections absolutely no hassle. The guy was pretty nice and made a couple of jokes about how long INS takes these days to process 485's and asked me have my AOS approved quickly so the next time I could enter from the permanant residents line.

Guess he had a good morning! :)

This was in SFO

I re-entered US lastweek using AP at LAX. The date stamped on I-94 is the data of my AP expiry (is this ok??, I'll double check with my lawyer now). No secondary inspection. Immigration was fast as only 5 people( 3groups) were there in the line.

going thru these posts I have a question for you gurus. Here is my situation. came on J-1 visa (expired june 1999) and changed it to H-1 in Jan2001. Thus my H-1 will expire Jan 2004. Yesterday I applied for my H-1 extension [I work as a postdoc in a university] and currently I-485 pending. The date on I-94, white card, is till J-1 (june 1999). I did not go out of the country all along and hence no H-1 stamping in my passport. In case after getting H-1 extension I go on an AP and return I will have a new I-94 (white one which is given in flight) which will have time only till AP's expiry but on the I-94 I get with my H-1 extension it would be Jan 2007. What happens to my status then. Obviously someone will suggest me to get H-1 stamping. Thats fine but what if it is rejected and I am forced to use my AP. Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated

bjags,

Could you please clarify the following points, before eliciting suggestions?

- You mention that your J-1 I-94 has expired in June 1999, and you have "changed it" to H-1 in January 2001. What was your status in between?

- Are you sure you did not get a replacement I-94 card with your H-1 approval letter?

- Was your I-485 filed under 245(i)?

niladri30,

"expiration may not yield unlawful presence"...

would mean that "you may not be illegal even if this date is history", wouldn't it?

Yeah. But my version sounds cool, eh? :)

This "may" part concerns me a great deal. Although I have managed to obtain a new AP I-94 with expiration date in September 2004, whereas the previous I-94 has expired in May 2003, I am still concerned if INS will consider the three months in between as "illegal presence".