AP and EAD renewals

randy_gc

Registered Users (C)
I filed i485 with old fee in Jun'07, and paying about $650 each year per person for AP and EAD renewals. As it may take long time to get GC, Is there any way to get into new fee structure and have AP and EADs FREE until getting GC?

I mean pay $1000 once now, and avoid $650 each year. Is it possible now?

Thanks
randy

Last edited by a moderator:
It doest matter if you paid old or new fees for your 485. Once you renew your AP / EAD (post july 2007), you will be into the new system and you will have to pay only one time fee. Right now they are processing 2 year EAD if your PD is not current. So, your EAD will be good for 2 years and all you have to pay is your lawyer fee for renewal. If you do that yourself (not recommended), you could save that too.

It doest matter if you paid old or new fees for your 485. Once you renew your AP / EAD (post july 2007), you will be into the new system and you will have to pay only one time fee.
Where is the source of your information? People who filed their I-485 before the July 2007 fee structure still have to pay for AP and EAD renewals.

It doest matter if you paid old or new fees for your 485. Once you renew your AP / EAD (post july 2007), you will be into the new system and you will have to pay only one time fee. Right now they are processing 2 year EAD if your PD is not current. So, your EAD will be good for 2 years and all you have to pay is your lawyer fee for renewal. If you do that yourself (not recommended), you could save that too.

Apart from the fact that USCIS is now issuing 2-year EADs in certain cases, this quoted post is otherwise erroneous.

1- If your filed I-485 with the old fee, you unfortunatly have to pay every time. Keep in mind, though, that you are not required to have an AP (unless you foresee emergency travel or you do actually plan to travel) and separately, you're not required to have an EAD unless you need it to work (e.g. you don't have H visa status). I write this because many aliens have this misconception that they must maintain a valid EAD and AP at all times, when in fact these are optional documents depending on circumstance.

2- It is certainly a waste of money to pay a lawyer for such a simple task as filing a form I-131 or I-765. Read other posts on this forum, it is actually very much recommended not to use a lawyer for such petty tasks.

thank you guys for inputs.

Some times they are NOT giving EAD for 2 years eventhough the PD is not current. My spouse got for an year only.

Its better if we can take up with USCIS for FREE EADs and APs for the people who paid the old fee.