AOS - When should I change name on passport?

Nightkd

Registered Users (C)
I have put in an application for AOS, through marriage to USC. I'm British.

When should I change my name on my passport? I've been hanging onto it because I need it for certain things - eg this biometrics interview I have tomorrow, so when am I safe to send it off without worrying too much about needing it for something else? I guess I'll need it for applying for SS number and drivers license (or will my old UK provisional do me for those?)... Thanks.

It up to you when you change your name, just bear in mind you will need to send the UK embassy your marrage certificate as well as you old passport. I sent mine after AOS was over so that i had ID in my married name. Just also to make you aware it takes about 6 weeks to get a UK passport issued here in the US at the mo. (mine took 5 1/2 including postage time - applied in late may)

Ooh Tinkerbelluk, you may be able to help me with something we've been wondering about; applying for the new Passport, do we need to send the ORIGINAL marriage certificate? We were told not to send the original ANYWHERE because it was the only one we'd get and it could be replaced... We have several stamped, official copies of the certificate.

US marriage, birth, death and so on certificates can be easily replaced and one can order as many original copies as they wish. See, for example, http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/marriage.htm

In fact, in the U.S. "original" certificates are never issued, but rather kept in the proper books, while copies issued by corresponding authorities considered original in everyday life.

Where did you get your official copies of the certificate stamped?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I don't understand why they need the original and not just an official copy! What's the point in having copies??? Blargh.

Anyway, I need to get this done, is it form C1 that I use?

You still need to explain to me where did you get your official copies of the certificate stamped, because I do not know what is c1 you refer to.

When should I change my name on my passport?

Never :) Why change your identity because you decided to legally cohabit with someone ? This is not a tounge-in-cheek but a serious meta-discussion.

Have you ever seen a man change his name upon marriage ? :rolleyes:

I have ! One.

Both got themselves a hyphenated conjoined name so that both could feel the pain together :confused:

The costs of changing and re-changing are quite a bit. No male ego should be hurt if the spouse does not change her name.

I notice there is a thumb down at above message, is it a user rating? How did you do that?

I notice there is a thumb down at above message, is it a user rating? How did you do that?

I dont know. I guess I have posted less than you have by a factor of 10 :)You should have more priveledges than I. Check your screen for details. Mine is a Mac/Apple so that could be one difference :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm sure I typed a longer message than that... In fact I'm certain I had at least a paragraph above what's actually written in my last message?!!??!? How bizarre.

We got our copies from the County Clerk/official place that issued the original. We paid a few bucks to get like 6 copies made when we dropped off our completed certificate after we got married, which have a stamp/are embossed with the logo. Sorry, language is appalling, it's late and I can't remember how to string a sentence together properly...

The C1 is the name of the form I think I have to complete on the passport website.

And I have to change my name in my passport as I am legally Mrs H now and that's the name that will be on my AP document etc etc, so if I wish to leave the country and actually be able to return, having the AP under one name and passport under another, it's unlikely I'll be allowed through the POE!

I'm not just legally co-habiting with someone, I married him and thus wanted to take his name :) He didn't force me or pressure me into it! What is there to change? My passport...that's it! A single expense?...

P.S The thumbs down or thumbs up is an option in the 'advanced' posting screen... Underneath the message box, 'post icons'..If that's what you're referring to.

Rather fortunately I didn't send my passport off to be changed and got my Interview notice through on the 14th of September for Interview on 24th of September! For which I needed my passport!!! :)

So now I'm thinking would be the perfect time to send it off to be changed, as we are planning to travel in December!!

Just wondering how to get the right size photos as for British Passport they require 45 millimetres high x 35 millimetres wide and US require 2" x 2" or something... I had difficulty finding anywhere (booth or otherwise) that did the 2 by 2 photos (and identical!!!) for the AOS application, let alone 45mm x 35mm! Any ideas?